XII. The Missing Peace

• Kurapika •

Kurapika took a quick look around the room. What the...? What was Akari doing with two of the Phantom Troupe members? And why was she so comfortable in their presence?

Killua flipped out at the sight before him. "Just what on God's green earth are you doing here with these two?"

"I can explain-"

"I sure hope so!" Killua cut Akari off. "I just got used to the idea of you working with Illumi, and here you are chatting up a storm with Feitan as well!" He punched the wall. "I swear to God, Akari, I'm gonna kill you!"

Gon interfered. "Akari, what's going on?"

"There's nothing for her to explain," Illumi responded coldly. "It's private business."

"It's not like we're harming her or anything," Feitan justified himself.

"I don't know about that," Kurapika was quick to talk back. "According to the grocery store employee, you were chasing after her like a madman." He narrowed his eyes at the small interrogator.

"Tch, they lied."

Gon walked closer to the table, with a sincere look on his face. "Akari, are you okay? Blink once if yes. Blink twice if no."

Akari laughed. "Gon, you're too funny. Of course I'm-"

"Just do as he said!" Killua commanded.

"My goodness, Killua! What did I do to you?" Akari showed immense confusion. "I can't understand why you're so mad at me!"

Killua lifted his transformed hand, claws ready to tear someone apart. "I don't know, Akari. Maybe the level of stupidity you've reached has made me lose my mind?"

He crouched down to get into a leaping position. As he was about to jump, Kurapika seized the hot-headed teen by his shoulders. "Killua, stop!"

Illumi glared at Killua. "Were you just about to kill the key to my mission?"

Killua blinked. "What? What key? What mission?"

Feitan gave Killua a hard look. "Yeah, dummy. Before you go around threatening people, maybe you should let them explain themselves."

"Sure, maybe you're right," Killua blurted out. "But I've been trying to keep this baka from crossing paths with this psycho!" He pointed at Illumi. "When the friend you keep trying to protect keeps defying you, how do you think you'd feel?"

Kurapika couldn't agree more. Did Akari really have to work with these two sketchy characters?

"Killua, maybe Akari has a good reason for working with them," Gon reasoned. He turned to Akari. "Can you confirm that you're not in danger? We did spend some time running around the city looking for you because we thought you were in trouble."

Akari nodded. "I'm fine. As a Crime Hunter, I've been assisting Illumi with some research. Feitan happened to get caught up in Illumi's mess, which is why he's here. We were just discussing a way to solve a huge problem." She brightened up. "I'm so sorry I worried you. Kurapika, I should've texted you, but I didn't want to wake you up." She gave him an apologetic look.