XIV. The Showdown

• Illumi •

"You want me to join you?" Hisoka raised an eyebrow.

"Why not?" Illumi asked.

"Just wondering. Who else is going to join your team?"

"Hmm, I'm still thinking about who all I need, but I'm willing to get as many people to join as possible. I need to finish my job. What kind of Zoldyck would I be if I failed a job? Zoldycks don't fail."

Hisoka shook his head. "You never fail to think of yourself only, do you?"

Illumi, confused, pressed for an explanation. "What do you mean, myself only?"

Hisoka looked up at his friend, who was currently leaning against the counter at the bar, while Hisoka sat on a barstool. "Well, are you doing this for yourself only, or are you also doing it for...her?"

Illumi finally understood what Hisoka was getting at. A previous bar conversation came to mind. "Mmm, honestly, this is a complicated question."

"Sure, sure," Hisoka smirked. Then he looked away and smiled. "You know, Illumi, I won't be jealous if you become more involved with her."

Illumi side-eyed Hisoka. "That's enough of this discussion. Let's talk about the face-off."

Not surprised by the sudden change of topic, Hisoka asked, "Okay, what about it?"

• Akari •

After the encounter with the Mika, Feitan, Phinks, and Chrollo, Illumi had sent Akari home to think about who she wanted to ask to join the fight. Akari had simply nodded and obeyed.

She sat with a notepad on her lap and pen in hand, taking a sip of tea here and there. She examined her list. She knew Illumi was going to ask his friend Hisoka, someone Akari had yet to meet. She wondered what unique abilities this Hisoka would bring to the fight. Was he an assassin too? While she had come across Hisoka's profile during her Phantom Troupe research, there was never much information on him.

Akari's list wasn't too long, but she began to wonder if the length of it was a bit unreasonable.

Mika vs. Illumi & Akari
1. Kurapika
2. Ging
3. Gon
4. Killua
5. Hisoka
6. Feitan

She tapped her lips with the end of her pen, deep in thought. She wondered if Ging would actually show up. He was very private, and he would likely not want to show up knowing Mika wanted him dead.

Akari thought about the opposing side. Who would Mika bring? She figured Chrollo and Phinks would be on her side, but what if Chrollo brought his other Phantom Troupe members? Knowing their incredible skill sets and nen abilities didn't ease Akari's stress.

The other side might actually have a chance at winning, she thought. She shuddered at the thought. She didn't want tomorrow to be her last day alive.

She called Ging to see if he'd be able to join. He, unfortunately, had another pressing matter to take care of in a completely different part of the world, so Akari removed him from the list. Next, she called Kurapika, who gladly agreed, Killua, who reluctantly succumbed to the request, and Gon, who accepted without hesitation. She knew Feitan would come with Mika but would side with her team.

She decided to inform Illumi of her list.

• Kurapika •

The next afternoon, as soon as both sides showed up, Kurapika knew his first order of business would be to disable Chrollo's ability to use nen. This would greatly reduce Mika's team's abilities and provide Akari's team a huge advantage.