VII. An Unexpected Reunion

• Akari •

Akari had always wondered what had happened to her mother. She came back home from school one day, only to find her father in a frenzy. He had mentioned that his wife had just disappeared, taking no belongings with her.

Her disappearance brought upon an intense heartbreak and self blame upon Akari's father, something he carried with himself to the grave. Akari, on the other hand, wasn't too attached to her mother, as many would believe. In fact, there wasn't much she had in common with her. Her mother wasn't a Hunter, and Akari recalled the countless arguments her parents had argued over her father choosing to be one. Her mother thought his career was much too dangerous, with nen being involved and all.

Additionally, her mother wasn't a Kurta. Akari inherited her Kurta traits from her father, and he taught her how to fight and defend herself. He even encouraged her, secretly, to become a Hunter herself, saying he knew she would be successful.

In order for her to tag along with Ging and her father on various Hunter missions, Cliff had trained her in nen usage and development, telling her it would assist her in her future career as a Hunter. Akari thought her father was the coolest, most down-to-earth fella. Ging was crazy in comparison.

Ging brought her back to the present moment. "There's something else you need to know."

Akari breathed in a deep breath to calm her racing heart. "Is it worse than what I already know?"

"Possibly. You remember Feitan, right?"

"Yes."

"Feitan is somehow related to Mika."

Akari gulped. Her mother was related to that torturer? How?!

"I don't know if Cliff ever told you, but Mika is originally from Meteor City. I don't think she was ever a part of the Spiders, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's assisted them before."

What a slap in the face! If her mother was involved with the Spiders, was she somehow involved with the Kurta clan massacre too? Did her father know that a potential enemy had lived within their home?

Oh no. What was she supposed to tell Illumi? Wait. Illumi's father had described a man. Ging was telling her it was a woman. "Ging, are you sure? My partner's source said Cliff was a man."

"Then whoever they saw must've been representing your mother. What are you planning to tell your partner?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well, I did my job and found out who it was. It's your responsibility now to use that information wisely," Ging instructed.

Akari could only nod in understanding.

What should I do now?

• Kurapika •

Kurapika received a message from Akari, notifying him that she was on her way back to Yorknew. She said she'd be able to meet with him for lunch the following day, if he was available, of course.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to meet with her during that time, but because he was still a bit worried about her, he thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to send her to lunch with Gon and Killua.

Kurapika: Hey guys!

Gon: Hey Kurapika! What's up? 😃

Kurapika: So, I'm a bit worried about Akari. It's a long explanation, but I won't be able to meet with her tomorrow. Would you two be able to spend some time with her?