day three

"Will your husband be joining us?"

"...no..." I shrugged. "I don't think so."

"He mentioned on our last phone call that he would be present. Must be wonderful to have someone so caring and considerate."

I gave him an uneasy smile not knowing what else to say. Here was this stranger, knocked on our door at exactly 11:45, enthusiastic as could be. Talk about a punctual house call. Had a very welcoming nature and yet I still did not feel like being here or having this session. It was the first of many maybe I'd like it better later on with time.

"You can call me Craig out with the formalities. Alright?" He assured me with a smile.

"You don't need to call me Mrs Dos Santos either." I replied in a more composed tone. I did not even know my real last name but one thing I knew for sure was that I did not want to be addressed as his companion when I was far from that and wouldn't be in the near future.

"Oh, there he is!" Craig stood up to give— Lorenzo a solid handshake.

"I must apologise for being late. Hopefully, I haven't missed much?" He smiled. "How are you feeling Soraya?"

"Fine thanks." I told him. I did not expect him to sit right next to me but he did and opposite us... Craig looked at us in awe.

"Not much except your wife prefers not to be called by her marital name." He chuckled. I laughed along, I thought it was funny and we were just trying to get comfortable and make conversation but Lorenzo looked at me wearily before holding my hand and whispering in my ear. "I hope you don't mind me being here? Thought you'd want someone familiar around for your first session..."

I nodded and gave him a fond smile. I did not like his hand holding mine. I did not like the feeling of his cologne and him being this close. In all honesty, I'd have much preferred if he wasn't here but he had said he would help me get my memory back. He was simply keeping his word, understanding how beneficial this would be for him in the end.

"First and foremost, I'm glad you're doing so much better and you will only get much better from here onwards. I'm so sorry about the accident. Hopefully I can play a part in your therapy and healing."

"Thank you." I muttered. Lorenzo then squeezed my hand as if assuring me that everything would be fine.

"Should we start with early childhood?"

"No no, she always preferred to not discuss that part of her life."

He knew me more than I knew myself. I wondered why I preferred not to.

"I suppose we could talk about your love story. How's that Mrs Dos— I mean Soraya? Would you be alright with that. We just take everything slow not to overwhelm you and just chat a bit about how you met your husband, take it from there. The more we discuss certain important events that happened in your life, the more likely you will see yourself reliving it and remembering parts of your life."

I was about to say no but Lorenzo was quick to answer before me.

"Yes yes, ofcourse anything to help her get her memory back."

I heaved a sigh.

Was this how we were meant to act in the presence of other people? An exhausting act.

"Perfect! Even though I don't notice you both wearing your marital ring—"

Lorenzo chuckled. "We're having it resized. Ever since the accident, she has lost weight."

"I'm sorry if that sounded nosy." He quickly noted down on his notepad.

Something told me he was analysing our every move. If Lorenzo could lie so easily, it made me wonder what other things had he easily lied about. He did it so effortlessly.