Chapter 6: A Giant

Our apologies for the odd chapter last time, but this one should prove to have quite a bit more drive to it. We hope you enjoy! Time for Chapter 6!

Chapter 6

A Giant

Gloria swallowed, staring into the angry eyes of the turtle before her, pawing the ground.

She was unsure how to react in the presence of this new, furious Pokémon, and her annoyance at the situation faded into apprehension. When it growled, Gloria and her partners immediately took a defensive stance, only for a voice to interrupt, carrying its own pleading shock.

"Sah-sabble!?" the Water Lizard Pokémon shouted, eyes still wide, seeming more surprised than worried. Ash, Greninja and Pikachu still stood up and put themselves ahead of Sobble, just in case.

The newly-arrived Pokémon stepped forward, gaze now directed to Sobble as it pointed its stubby feet to him. "Chew! Chew chewtle chew!"

Sobble stepped back, his anxiety once more on display, twisting his head between Ash and the turtle. He looked uncertain, and Gloria wondered if the turtle was telling him to leave.

Ash scratched his head, observing the exchange. "They seem to know each other."

Gloria nodded, that much being clear. She grabbed her Rotom Phone and scanned over the new Pokémon, hoping for useful information.

"Chewtle, the Snapping Pokémon. A Water type," Rotom droned out. "Far more aggressive than its size would imply, it's driven by its itchy teeth to snap its jaws at anything in front of it. Once it bites down on a flinching opponent, it never lets go."

Chewtle's scowl grew fiercer at the echoed words, jaws closing shut in an attempted threat. "Attempted" being the key word, as even though it appeared larger than the picture suggested, Gloria couldn't find the threat in at all. Nor did anyone else. They all remained in place, ready to act as they tried to understand what was happening.

"Is it here for Sobble?" Serena wondered. The small amphibian continued to stay in place, Greninja putting himself between the fellow Water types.

Chewtle didn't seem to like that, and without prompting tossed its head down and charged wildly towards Greninja, jaws ready to sink into him. The Ninja Pokémon leapt out of the way and Chewtle only bit into the air, the frog taking a defensive stance and preparing to strike back, still between the turtle and Sobble. Chewtle let out a cry, and prepared to strike once more.

Gloria frowned. She knew that Ash would be able to handle the Snapping Pokémon. Yet without hesitation, her fist clenched. She couldn't just stand by.

"Looks like it, but not to prey on him! Scorbunny, let's go!"

Her bunny raised a paw in agreement, and both trainer and Pokémon rushed to Ash and Greninja's side, Scorbunny sprinting straight for Chewtle. Their intrusion caught Chewtle off guard, but it still managed to redirect itself towards them.

The gauntlet thrown down, Gloria steadied herself, pointing at the turtle.

"Double Kick, now!" Scorbunny rushed towards Chewtle, feet striking the Snapping Pokémon right on the face.

It wasn't blown back. The opposing Pokémon remained in place, surprising the Rabbit Pokémon and his trainer. Before Scorbunny could jump out of the way, Chewtle's jaws snapped around his leg, holding the bunny in a tight grip. Scorbunny cried at the sharp tooth into his skin, and only grew louder as Chewtle slammed him on the ground repeatedly over and over. Gloria winced at her partner's pain.