Chap 3. [Family Dinner]

The place that we walked into was... interesting.  That's the best word I can place on it.  There were only 2 tables and one person in the kitchen.  It was literally a house with an extra table and the rooms cut off so you couldn't see them.  The cook wore stained jeans and a greased filled shirt.  There was a family of 5 in one of the two tables that looked like they had gone through a mad man's science lab.

        "Buenos notches!"  The cook said behind the kitchen.  The walls were painted a light sky blue and the black and white checkered floor had strange shadows from the overly bright light fixtures on the ceiling. 

       I could see Chuuya bubble over but he tried to stay calm.  "Hey Massimo!"  Dazai yelled at the cook- well- Massimo. 

        "These are your friends?"  The man said with a slight Spanish accent.  Dazai nodded. 

       "Where's the boss?" 

       "Ah, she moved back to that sumabitch deadbeat husband back in Sweden."  Wow, these are some strange characters.  Finally the man walked and gave us four menus and a couple silverware sets.  We sat down,  me sitting by Dazai and across from us was Akutagawa in front of me and Chuuya in front of Dazai.  (Bad idea, why would I even think of that was a good idea?!)

       "Drinks?"

        "I'll have a cocktail."  Chuuya said while looking at the menu.

         "One glass of bleach!" Dazai exclaimed loudly.  Chuuya shot him a look and kicked his leg hard under the table, earning a slight yelp from the tall bandaged man.  "U-uh I'll just have an orange soda!"

       "Coffee please, no sugar or cream."  All of us gagged slightly at Akutagawa's statement as the waiter nodded.

      "Just a water please." I said.

      "Alright!  I will be back shortly."  The waiter said, brushing through the slick floor and into the kitchen.

      It was silent for a moment- a moment of peace as we read through the menus.  The waiter came back and gave us our drinks, then asked us what we would like.  Everyone ordered and I ended up getting the shrimp and chicken salad, sounds like a strange mix but I was so hungry I'd eat anything.  "Alright, that'll be 10/20 minutes."  Massimo said before running off into the kitchen again.

       I sucked on my straw and my eyes met Akutagawa's black eyes.  I looked away quickly but he insisted on staring at me so I looked back.  It wasn't the normal hateful look though, it was a look of virtue and calmness.

       "Dazai, normally I would be pissed at you." Chuuya said, sipping on his cocktail. 

       "Oh, and why would that be?"  Dazai asked slyly, scratching at his bandages on his neck.

       "Oh I don't know Dazai, maybe because you took us to a-" Chuuya whispered. "a literal dirty house that's you called a 'restaurant', and you said was going to be an expensive luxury?"

       Dazai stayed quiet for a moment and looked around the room, then met Chuuya's small frame once more.  "Just wait til we get the bill."  I saw the executive gulp and gulp down his cocktail.

       "Hey Atsushi."  I practically jumped at the sound of my name.  I looked at the orange haired man that said my name.

      "Y-yes?"

       "Now that our agency's are not at war and stuff.." he swirled his finger around the rim of his empty glass.  "Maybe I can start giving you lessons on how to fight.. yaknow... like if Dazai ever annoys you too much and you want to put him in his place."

      "I'm right her-"

      "Chuuya that would be amazing!" I said as my face lit up.  "You're right! It would be good too, if any higher power attacks the both of us."  {A.N. Manga flashbacks :(} "It's a win win!"

      "Now wait a minut-" Dazai tried to stop the conversation.

       "How about after this?"  Chuuya asked, then looked at the bags under my eyes.  "Or- maybe later."  He chuckled out.

       "Yeah, later would do just fine!"

       "HOLD ON."  Dazai yelled and we both looked at him.  "Who said this was okay?"

      "Me." Chuuya said.  Then our food came.

      We all looked at our food as the waiter slid out of there.  The food was... questionable.  Was it even edible?- The shrimp on my plate was spoiled and smelled awful, and the chicken was pink- it was raw. I looked at the others and they had similar results. Chuuya's being the worst with what looked like a literal slab of cow- as a "steak". It could have practically have still been mooing.

We glanced at each other in silence and then back at the waiter. I saw the gears turning in Dazai's head. "How about we dine and dash without the dine."

Everyone nodded but me. "Wait wait w-" Dazai put his hand over my mouth and started walking to the door with his arm in my hand. Massimo yelled where he was going and Dazai said that I had forgotten something in the car. Once we got out in the frigid night I looked at Dazai's brown eyes. "What about Chuuya and Akutagawa?!"

"Don't worry about them." Dazai said, getting into the passenger side of the car. I got in the backseat. I wasn't driving again.

       From the door I saw the two, and around Chuuya seemed to be an aura of red.  They slid into the car, Chuuya in the back with me and Aku driving.

     "How long can you keep your ability in use?"  Dazai asked, staring out the window.

      "As long as I need to to keep that Massimo dude in the same place, fucker tried to give us food poisoning. He's glad I don't leave him like that forever and shove that food up his-"

       Aku started driving, I looked out the window and felt a little drowsy.  I closed my eyes and tuned out the bickering between Dazai and Chuuya.  They ended up getting fast food that night.