|𝟣𝟢| 𝖲𝗎𝗇𝗌𝖾𝗍

|Chloe|

It was getting late in the afternoon, we were still roaming through the village while happily holding each other's hands. There was a distant anxiety buried behind my joy: The constant fear that someone of nobility will recognise us, leading to a degrading of Izana's reputation. Of course, I was repeatedly reminded by the man that everything was going to be alright, to the point that my worries became like sand in a desert. While circulating the town, we came across this beautiful jewellery stand that was incredibly affordable yet gorgeous. Izana was gazing at some himself with great care, whereas I just inspected the peculiar-looking ones.

|Izana|

This jewel is perfect. Dangling emerald earrings, modest and graceful just like the lady beside me. They were the perfect shade of green, which matched her eyes amazingly. Even though I greatly dislike the idea of purchasing jewellery in a market, these earrings were most definitely made of high quality material.

"You have really good taste young man" the elderly woman who owned the stall complimented.

She greets me a tender smile, "These earrings were traded to me by a foreigner, they said they'll shine the brightest when worn by the right person. I believe your lady is the person" she winks.

I am old enough to know that this was probably a made up story to persuade me from purchasing the earring, nonetheless I let it slide. So I quickly pay for the earrings before leaving the stall with Chloe at my side.

|Chloe|

When we arrived my shop, i instantly felt a surge of warmth that I didn't even know I was missing: I was finally home. As I sit Izana into a chair, I begin to find an apron, which had been neatly folded on the counter awaiting for my arrival. While walking around town, I had gathered some ingredients to bake a delicious cake to share with him. Luckily my collection of handmade teas were still intact and fragrant. Since we had little to no time, I decided to go with a simple one-layered red velvet cake, powered with a light layer of icing sugar. I accompanied the cake with a cup of berry tea to match the redness of the cake.

"My finest red velvet cake with a side of berry tea for you sir Wistaria" I announce, proudly setting down the delicacies I made.

"Well thank you lady Sakurai for this fine desert, no one in this kingdom can compare to your skills" Izana replies with the same energy causing us to erupt in bubbles of laughter.

I sit beside him with my own plate of cake and tea as we converse in random topics. Suddenly though I notice a change in the atmosphere, as if I thought had stroke Izana's mind, silencing him completely.

"What's wrong?" I say worriedly.

|Izana|

I know there will be a day where I'll have to make an important decision but that day has not yet come. However I cannot hide this from her any longer.

"I will be holding a Queen candidate exam for all noble women worthy enough of taking the throne beside me in the future. As I much I wish I'd could just marry you, I can't without the support of the public and nobles. Therefore I want you to enter the candidate exam." I bravely voice.

Silence engulfs the shop as all can be heard as the voices of children outside. She calmly sips her tea then rests it on the table again, "I can't. I'm not a noble woman or from any background of wealth. I'm not worthy to be in the exam"

Her reply had cut me through like a dagger, "Chloe you far more dignified than any noble woman I've ever met. I can help you practice before the exam, please my love don't try to give up on what we have just yet."

|Chloe|

He really knows how to charm people with his words. By signing up to be exam I'd be the same as walking into a hungry lion's den - deadly. As I look into this man's eyes I can see the desperation for me to agree and realise that I was too quick to reject the offer. I love Izana, I shouldn't give up my place beside him so easily. I also deserve to stand by him.

"Your right, I wasn't thinking straight. I'll start training tomorrow. What type of things should I know?" I question.

He smiles as he begins to explain, "you'll need to know basic etiquette, dance, knowledge of this kingdom and neighbouring kingdoms. That's all I can tell you, the rest will be in your hands to figure out"

I nod attentively, taking in all the information given.

"All your stuff will transferred to a room in the castle, all the candidates will have room near to yours." I nod.

"What if I don't win?" I ask, this was exact thought that had lingered my mind for a while now.

Izana begins laughing, "I don't think there's anyone as amazing as you! Remember, the people will have quite a lot of influence on who qualifies to become Clarines' next Queen. Don't worry because you will become my Queen"

I blush furiously as runs his hands to my hair, tucking them behind my rosy ears. He kisses the last strands of my hair and gives me his nutritiously dangerous smirk. Oh my, how did I get a man like this?!