New Beginnings

Tanjiro

"Hey Tanjiro, tell us about that Mui..Muich..whatever. Tell us about your partner." Inosuke poked his shoulder.

Tanjiro laughed. "Muichiro? He's alright. He doesn't talk much, though. I invited him to sit with us but he just said no and walked off."

They were all seated at their usual lunch table. Next to Tanjiro was Inosuke on the left and Zenitsu on the right. A few other kids were sitting at the table too.

"Why would you do that?" Inosuke said while chewing on the school food. "He looks like a girl, it's weird." He shook his head.

Zenitsu stared at him for a second. "You know, I don't really think you should be talking, Inosuke. You also-"

"I'm going to go look for Muichiro." Tanjiro randomly blurted out, interrupting Zenitsu. He knew Muichiro might not enjoy his company but if they were going to work together for the next three weeks, they would need to talk a little more.

"Oh? Have fun I guess. We'll see you in seventh period." Zenitsu nodded as Tanjiro stood up from the table.

"I also what? Finish your sentence!" Inosuke banged his fists on the table like a wild animal.

"Gah! I choose life! Forget about it!" Zenitsu shuddered.

Tanjiro laughed to himself as he walked away. His friends were a handful. He could still hear Inosuke yelling from the other side of the lunchroom.

He left the doors of the cafeteria and walked down the long hallway. If I wanted to be alone at lunch, where would I go? He checked the library first, but there was no sign of Muichiro. He checked the freshman bathrooms but still found nothing. He was about to head back to the lunchroom until he saw something move outside the window. He walked towards the doors that lead to the back of the school and he found Muichiro sitting on the pavement.

"Hello Muichiro! Remember me?" He smiled brightly as he sat down infront of Muichiro. He noticed that he had the tips of his hair dyed a pretty blue color that matched his eyes.

"..Yes. Why are you out here?" Muichiro seemed to be expressionless. He seemed so cold to everyone.

"Well I wanted to eat with you. We're partners so we should get to know each other right?" He thought for a moment. "Oh! I know! Let's play a game."

"A game?" Muichiro moved back a little so they were farther apart. Tanjiro noticed him pull out his phone to check something.

"Yes, a game! To get to know each other better." He wanted to help Muichiro get out of his shell a little bit. "Hm, let's see there's twenty questions, two truths and a lie, never have I-" He looked up to see an empty spot. "Muichiro?" He frowned. Where did he go? Why doesn't he want to talk? This is going to be way harder than I thought. He stood up and headed for the doors, Muichiro couldn't have gotten too far.

Tanjiro found Muichiro leaning against the wall staring his phone. He seemed a little upset, which caused Tanjiro to drop his smile.

"You ran off and I couldn't find you for a second! What are you looking at?" He moved to Muichiro's side and leaned in to look at his phone. He was staring at a post that one of their classmates made earlier. It showed Muichiro walking in the hallway with the caption 'What a freak' and a few laughing emojis.

"..Oh." I knew they were mean to him but not this mean..I'll have to talk to them tomorrow. Tanjiro looked at Muichiro to see his eyes glistening a little. "Hey, school is almost over. Do you want to come to my house? We can skip."

Muichiro looked like he was thinking about it. He hesitantly nodded 'yes.'

"Alright!" Progress! He trusts me a little! "We should go before the bell rings." He reached for Muichiro's hand and guided him out the school doors.