Clouds

Muichiro

He said he was used to this treatment, but today was already shitty enough and that post made things worse. He didn't actually want to spend anymore time with Tanjiro either, he just didn't want to face his peers.

"You can let go of my hand, Tanjiro. I can walk fine on my own."

Tanjiro's face turned a soft shade of pink in embarrassment. He quickly dropped Muichiro's hand and scooted over a little.

"I'm sorry! I forgot! But we're almost there." He smiled awkwardly.

Muichiro made a quiet 'tch' noise. He wondered how many people had seen that post. People were constantly making fun of his hair and how feminine he looked but it never really bothered him because he liked how he looked. Things have gotten worse since he started ninth grade though. It was so bad that he's had thoughts about cutting his hair and changing how he dressed.

"Muichiro!" Tanjiro was really close to his face.

"Uh? What?" Muichiro looked up at him with a blank expression. He's so loud.

"I've been calling your name for so long! Were you not paying attention?"

Muichiro frowned. "No I guess not. Sorry."

"It's alright, we're here though. Come in." Tanjiro unlocked the door and stepped inside the house. He sat down and took off his shoes.

Muichiro stood in the doorway. "Um, Tanjiro?"

"Yes?" Tanjiro looked up at Muichiro with one of his shoes still in his hand.

"Can we stay outside? To look at the sky?"  He glanced up at the sky. There were many clouds, it was really pretty. He enjoyed being outside anyways, it always helped him calm down. He especially loved the time after it rains when there is mist in the air and it smells wonderful.

"Yes! That sounds like fun." Tanjiro slipped his shoes back on and led Muichiro to the back of his house.

They sat next to each other on the grass. Tanjiro laid down on his back while Muichiro sat up with his arms wrapped around his knees.

"Hey look, that cloud looks like a turtle!" Tanjiro pointed up at the cloud and laughed.

Muichiro titled his head. "I don't see it?"

"You have to lay down like me so it's easier to see." Tanjiro moved over a little.

Muichiro paused for a moment before laying down beside Tanjiro. He looked up again and this time he could see the turtle shaped cloud. He laughed. "It does look like a turtle!" He scanned the sky then pointed to another cloud. "It's a butterfly."

They both pointed at the different shapes and clouds for a few hours. Muichiro was genuinely having a good time. He felt like he actually had a friend for once. Friend? Were we even friends? No. Tanjiro wouldn't want to be friends with someone like me.

"Hey I have an idea! We can do our project on the clouds!" Tanjiro sat up.

Right. The project. That's the only reason Tanjiro was interacting with him. "Oh, I like that idea. Let's do it." He also sat up. "..But I think I should go back home now."

Tanjiro frowned. "Already? Atleast let me give you something to eat." He stood up and reached out his hand to help him up.

Muichiro took his hand and stood up. "It's okay. I can cook something when I get home." He patted the grass off of his jeans. "Thank you though." He began walking back to the front of the house.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" Tanjiro followed behind him. "I really don't mind."

Muichiro laughed. "I think I can manage. Have a good day, Tanjiro. Thank you again." He turned down the driveway to leave but Tanjiro called after him.

"Please text me when you get home, okay? So I know you got home safe." He smiled.

Muichiro felt his cheeks get hot. "Yeah alright. I will." He turned around again and went on his way back home. Did he actually care or was he just being nice? He sighed.

Muichiro reached his house and he set his backpack down on the floor. He took out his binder and rubbed his finger over the number Tanjiro wrote. After a few seconds of hesitation he pulled out his phone and typed the number in.

'hey its muichiro i made it home safe'

He pressed 'send' and set his phone down. He'll probably ignore it, I wouldn't want to text me either. Suddenly his phone buzzed and he quickly grabbed it to check the notification.

'Hey! I'm glad'

Muichiro smiled a little as he thought of a reply. Another text popped up on his screen.

'Do you want to hang out at lunch again? Tomorrow'

Then another.

'It can just be us outside I wont make you sit in the lunchroom with my friends'

Muichiro's cheeks felt hot again. This is weird. Why am I like this? It took him a second to come up with a reply.

'yeah that sounds good'
'maybe i wont leave so quickly this time'

'Haha hopefully. I'm going to sleep now so goodnight Muichiro'

'goodnight Tanjiro'