A place to stay

??? POV

It was around 10:40 at night, usually a normal junior in high school would be asleep at this time but I was busy studying for my chemistry and math test tomorrow. "Ugh...why is math a thing...and why is it required..."

My mindless rant was interrupted when I heard meowing on the other side of my bedroom door. I opened it to find my cat Princess on the other side of the door. "why do you do this to me every night" I let her in my room and opened my textbook back up with her lying on my bed next to me.

A few moments later I heard my doorbell ring, at first, I was a little confused but went to open the door anyway.

When  I opened the door I saw two girls that looked around the same age as me. One of them had black hair with what looked like blue tips, her hair was in two pigtails with matching butterfly clips, and blue eyes. The second girl also had black hair but it was in a side ponytail with a butterfly clip similar to the first girl and her eyes looked like they were pink.

"Hey, do you need something?"

Aoi POV

"Uh...hello me and my friends are sort of lost, and we were wondering if we could stay here?" She was looking at us for a few more seconds before she said something.

"Uh....sure, but you said "friends" as in more than one?"

"Our other friends are over there." I pointed to where the others were waiting for us and I could see this caught their attention. When I looked back at the girl I could tell she was a bit surprised at how many of us there were, then again I guess I can't blame her. It's not every day a random group of strangers appear at your door asking for a place to stay.

Now that I think about it why is she letting us stay here? She didn't say anyone else was here. So why-

"Aoi"

"h-huh?" My thoughts were interrupted when Kanao called my name. "We need to go tell the others it's ok to stay here." 

"Right...sorry. I got lost in thought."

??? POV

I went to my room and put my school books away in my bag. I looked at my bed to see Princess happily sleeping on my blanket. "You don't know how easy you have it, all you do is eat and sleep. Y'know-" Again, my mindless rant was interrupted but this time it was by my dog Felix. 'Shoot.'

I ran downstairs to see Felix barking at the group of people who suddenly entered my house, then again I probably should have told them I had a dog.

"Felix!"

His attention shifted from them to me when he heard his name, he immediately ran up to me as I got on one knee and started to pet him. I look back at the group of strangers I let stay here to see them all staring at me.

This one girl imparticular kept her eyes on Felix, she was clinging on to a guy with black hair and vibrant blue eyes.

"Sorry about her"

"huh?" My train of thought was interrupted when he suddenly spoke. "Shinobu's afraid of furry animals and we weren't aware you had a dog." 

'So her name's Shinobu... ' I blinked before I replied. "It's ok, I guess it's my fault for not saying something. Anyway, you guys can just pick one of the spare rooms since there are two...I'll have Felix sleep in my room so he doesn't cause you any more trouble." I was walking Felix to my room when I heard someone behind me ask me a question.

"Do you live alone?"

The sudden question stopped me in my tracks, I turned around to the source of the voice. It was a man with yellow and red hair that looked like fire, and his eyes were no different since they were bright orange.

"Apologies for the sudden question but you seem rather young to be living on your own."

"I used to live with my mother...." he looked at me a little confused at the unsure answer but before he could say something a younger boy with bright yellow hair spoke up.

"Um...used to?"

"..."

"Did she leave you...?"

"..."

"...I guess you could say that...."

I looked at the floor for a few seconds before I went back upstairs to my room with Felix, I locked my door and stood in my room lost in my own thoughts.

Tanjiro POV

"Apologies for the sudden question but you seem rather young to be living on your own."

When Rengoku asked the girl about how she was living alone she started to give off the scent of sadness and grief.

"I used to live with my mother...."

"Um...used to?"

The longer she stood there the stronger the scent was getting, I wondered if something bad happened.

"..."

"Did she leave you...."

"..."

"...I guess you could say that...."

She turned away after a few moments of staring at the floor, I could tell she was upset about something but I could tell it was personal and we had only just met. Besides she was nice enough to let a group of strangers into her home. I didn't want to push our luck by asking her questions.

"She sounded sad." suddenly all eyes were on Zenitsu because of his sudden statement. "What are you even talking about?" Uzui said while standing behind Zenitsu, practically towering over him. "W-well it's j-just that she started giving off a sad sound when she left."

"I agree with him"

Muchiro's sudden statement took everyone by surprise, especially since he doesn't really talk unless he has to.

"Her mood changed when Rengoku asked about if she was living with anybody...maybe something bad happened." After about a minute of standing in silence, Obanai was the first to say something. "Well there's no point in thinking about it, and it's really none of our business what has gone on in her life." 

"Iguro's right. Either way, we should be grateful that someone was willing to let us spend the night in their home." Miss Kanroji suddenly spoke up after Obanai.

"She's right we can figure out what we'll do next in the morning, for now, let's all get some rest."

As usual, Aoi is the voice of reason in the confusion.  That night the boys slept in the room downstairs and the girls slept in the room down the hall from the room the mysterious girl went into.

'Now that I think about it she never told us her name, and we never told her ours. Maybe we can do that tomorrow.'