Capsule Machines (YachiMei)

(Published September 11, 2021)

No One's POV

Mei Fan is once again found in front of the capsule machines with her determined expectant expression and her restrained wagging tail.

It's her birthday, so she thinks that her luck for this day would be off the charts. Meaning she should be very lucky. Meaning she should be able to get what she wants because it is her birthday.

With that in mind, she picks up her bag from her desk and goes outside of the dorms. Going to the nearby store with capsule machines on the outside before going to school. She lowers her stance and sits on her heel in front of the awaited capsule. She takes a deep breath, puts in the coin, and finally slowly turning the knob. Seeing the result of her turn, she falls into a depressed episode before trying again. This goes on repeat until she realizes the items rolling down onto her side. She lets out a sigh.

Even if it is her birthday, it doesn't necessarily mean that her luck would increase by a lot. That just sucks.

Mei Fan once again looks at the other stuff that she got instead of the thing she wanted. She decides to give it away to the others as she walks away with her head held down and her tail moving slowly to the sides. Another sigh leaves her lips.

"If you keep on sighing like that, you let a piece of your happiness leave. What's wrong Mei Fan?" That kinda sleazy voice made the called girl look back and see the pink haired fox with a smile.

"Yachiyo!"

"Morning. I didn't know you were up this early today. I didn't bring my present with me." Yachiyo paces closer to the dog as she lets out a yawn.

"Did you just wake up?" Mei Fan asks out of worry as she settles a hand on the fox's opposite shoulder while her ears keeps checks for the surroundings. "I don't mind you giving it later."

"I know, that's how you are Mei Fan." Yachiyo looks at the hand on her shoulder and fights back the grin that wants to show itself, but it nonetheless shows itself with the slight tail wagging. "I just washed my face to help me wake up."

Mei Fan makes a serious face before stopping in her step and makes the fox look her way. With such an unusual serious face on Mei Fan, Yachiyo averts her eyes to the side and happens to see the poking out obvious capsule attempts of the dog. The fox lets out a restrained laugh.

She can just imagine what was going through the dog's head when she decided to go for it in the capsule machines.

"What's with that laugh, Yachiyo?" Mei Fan asks at the sudden sound that the fox let out. It makes the dog stand up straight and not lean forward peering at Yachiyo's face anymore.

The fox points to the bag on Mei Fan's shoulder, then it dawns upon the dog's mind what the fox was stopping herself from laughing out loud. Mei Fan instinctively shoves the bag to her back and the blush on her cheeks just gives her away, earning her a teasing sneer from the fox.

"I know you know what I did, okay. I couldn't help it." Mei Fan tries to defend herself but isn't exactly doing that. As the embarrassment slowly grows on her, she closes her eyes and then feels a hand on her head. She opens her eyes and sees the gentle look on the fox, making her heart skip a beat. Mei Fan looks to the side in an immediate reaction, trying to hide even a bit of her embarrassment from the very observant fox. "Let's get you back to the dorms first, Yachiyo."

"Sure." The moment the fox said that, she clings to Mei Fan's arm, successfully capturing it and leans her head on the dog's shoulder. In response, Mei Fan looks at her partner and notices the tired eyes of Yachiyo slowly closing on their own, but she makes no move to jostle the tired girl much than just the calm steps towards the dorms of the foxes.

'If you were that tired, you should've just let me carry you...' Mei Fan thinks to herself.

When they arrive at Yachiyo's front door, Mei Fan taps on the girl on her shoulder who sleepily opened her eyes. The fox opens the door and waits for a moment to let the dog in. Being the worrywart that Mei Fan is, she lightly pushes the fox inside and sat herself in the space before the bed while Yachiyo readies herself up for school.

Left to her own devices, Mei Fan fidgets in her seat, restless with nothing to do, until the idea comes to her as her eyes land on the paper bag on the side of the desk. Now with something on mind, it eats her away with deciding whether to take a peek or not. Ultimately, of course, she fights against the desire of wanting to take a short glance at the inside over seeing the expression on Yachiyo's face when it will be given to her. She purses her lips with her eyes closed to help herself fight against the urge, but it only backfires when the other person in the room blows air into her ear.

Mei Fan covers her left ear as she backs away and her back meets the edge of the bed with a nervous expression on her face, her free ear standing up in alert.

"You get startled way too easily, Mei Fan." Yachiyo giggles. "Why are you so tense? Don't tell me you found something I shouldn't have? Of course not. I don't have any of those things." Yachiyo sits herself beside the jumpy dog.

"What are you trying to say? I didn't even lift a muscle from where I was sitting." Mei Fan tries to play it off and doesn't look into the eyes of the fox.

"Hmm..." Yachiyo hums as she takes her steps towards the paper bag that Mei Fan was stealing glances at. She takes the handle and takes one last look at the present she personally made for the dog, she smiles to herself for another job well done. "Here. Happy birthday Mei Fan."

The called girl relaxes and faces the fox with a fond smile on her face.

"Thank you, Yachiyo."

"I can guarantee that this one is better than the one you wanted in the capsule machines." The fox says with that cheery grin, showing her fangs.

That comment makes Mei Fan laugh. She calmed down not soon after.

"Of course it's better. You're the one who made this." Mei Fan says with no hint of embarrassment as she wipes the stray tears that went out of her eyes from the laughing.

While Yachiyo struggles to keep herself together, at least on the inside, as she keeps the expression on her face. Though her lips are wavering slightly at the happiness. Her tail unconsciously wagging happily by itself. Thankfully, the dog is too focused on finding out the contents of the present.

"Glad you like it!" Not being able to hold it in anymore, she turns her back on the dog who only looks at her with confusion. The dog shrugs her shoulders as she peers into the paper bag, excited at what could be on the inside.

When Mei Fan sees the figure in the paper bag, a big smile comes into her face as she lifts up the figurine in her hands.

"I'm definitely putting this on my bedside!" The dog exclaims, startling the fox into facing her again. The figurine is a miniature version of herself and the dog. "This is rarer than rare. I'll keep it properly cared for."

"You should take care of me too." Yachiyo says in a small voice, still slightly embarrassed at the earlier statement. Though the dog for sure catches wind of it.

"That's a given." Mei Fan smoothly wraps an arm over the fox.

"Good." Yachiyo lightly giggles at the declaration.