Chapter 7

The wet remnants of last night glistened over my window panes. A gust of fresh breeze sailed through my hair as I opened the window. My eyes closed of their own accord as the chilly puff of air tickled my cheeks. The dewy scent of Jasmine wafting through my nostrils.

When I opened my eyes, they spanned over the garden that looked greener than usual, thanks to the storm. The flowers were swaying from left to right as if dancing to the rhythm of the wind. Just one word to describe what I was feeling. Serenity. 

I willed myself to remove myself from the window as I had the whole day ahead of me. 

I clattered down the stairs to check on Mom. Unsurprisingly, she was up and gone.

The event of last night played in my mind as I walked up the stairs to my room. 

Did that really happen? Or was that just a dream? I couldn't help but ask myself as my hand shot up to touch my lips. They didn't feel swollen anymore. But the feel of his lips was still there. His warm lips, that arrested mine into a wild heated kiss. A tingle tremored through my spine as the memories of last night hit me. I knew it was going to haunt me forever. Not as a nightmare, but as the most beautiful dream of my life.  

But was it true?        

Things like this don't happen in reality. He made me feel both powerless and powerful at the same time. No human is capable of doing that. Such intensity. Goosebumps popped up all across my body as his mocha brown orbs flashed before my eyes. They looked promising and wild. 

I shook myself out of the thought and smoothened the slight creases on my blouse. I was so lost in my thought that I didn't realize when I had taken my bath and dressed.

He is not mine. He is possessed. I reminded myself again and again. 

And one more time when my eyes swooped up towards the window. Was he standing there watching me? 

I headed off to the hospital after that.

I was about to cross the main gate of the mansion when a black Rolls Royce skidded to a halt beside me. I knew who this dream car belonged to but couldn't figure as to why he stopped the car here.

The window rolled down to reveal Oliver sitting behind the wheel. He was wearing brown shades.  

Come. I'll drop you," he offered without a hint of a smile. His hand of help filled me with doubts as he had never been this generous before. Then why now? 

"It's okay. I don't want to trouble you. I'll take the bus," I tried to decline his offer as politely as possible while working a fake smile. I had a hunch that he was doing it with purpose. 

"No trouble. Come on, hop in," he asserted. I could sense his calculative gaze through the shades.  

And one observation led to another. the one I had made yesterday. How he had eyed me with suspicion as if he was trying to take a peek into my soul.  Now I realized why he was being this generous. 

He wanted to know about last night. I had to get him off my back. 

"It's really fine. I can take..." I was cut short 

"Get in, Spring," this time he said in a demanding tone. No room for argument. 

I nodded as I knew he wouldn't back down if I didn't allay his suspicion. I rounded the car and unlatched the door. I might not show it but I was a bundle of nerves. Fear crept up my spine. This one was different from the one I felt in presence of Ethan. No anticipation, only cold ugly fear. 

I slipped into the car and closed the door meekly, not wanting to harm it in any way. The car reeked of luxury. My mouth agape as my eyes did a 360 tour of its interior.