Chapter 1: Another Ghost?

"You guys remember the plan right?" Nya's voice crackled over the communication pieces in each of the ninjas' ears as all six of them free-falled towards the ground.

"We just went over the plan no more than five minutes ago, sis," Kai retorted snarkily.

"Can you blame me for wanting to make sure that empty head of yours knew the plan since I literally saw you spacing out?" Nya snapped back.

Kai opened his mouth to defend himself, but closed it, knowing full well she was right.

But to his defense, he was bored and it's not like he didn't know the plan at all.

The ninjas pulled at their backpacks, letting the parachutes pop out and save them from plummeting straight down into the thick trees.

Lloyd jumped in to ease the siblings' moods. "We leave a trail of peanuts while we go through the Maze of Shadows and throw sticks at every possible path. If the stick vanishes, then we avoid that path."

"Then we snatch up that book and bring it back to Borg Tower for safe keeping," Cole added.

"What's so special about the book anyway?" Jay questioned, dangling his feet in the air.

"I believe Master Wu said something about it holding powerful spells," Zane answered. "Oh, prepare for landing."

With experienced practice, they landed safely on the ground, discarding the parachute packs and rolling on the dirt to break their landing.

"Guys? A little help?" Jay's voice came from above.

Five heads tilted upward to see the blue ninja awkwardly wrapped up in a tree, the parachute tangled in the branches.

"You got yourself in that mess, get yourself out of it," Kai said.

"Oh, come on!" Jay complained before attempting to maneuver his arm out of the branches. "Wait, I think I got it! I just need to—AHHHHHH!!"

He gracefully landed face-down on the dirt.

Cole came over and helped Jay up to his feet. "You got a little dirt, uh, everywhere," he gestured to his own face.

"And this is why you're my best bro," Jay clapped his friend on the shoulder and wiped his face with his sleeve.

"Alright, let's go," Lloyd said in his leader voice, initiating the start of the mission. "Zane, you got the peanuts?"

"Affirmative."

"Nya, sticks?"

"Got 'em safe right here," she patted the satchel tied to her hip.

The ninjas walked towards a huge cave that looked intimidating with its dark entrance that held no light in it.

"My mom said the maze isn't that big, so this should be a quick mission. We get in, take the book, and get out," Lloyd lowered his voice to avoid attracting attention from unknown creatures within the cave. "Kai, some light?"

"You got it," a flame appeared in Kai's palm.

There was nothing special about the cave so far, but any second they were going to hit the beginning of the maze.

The maze that Misako and Wu warned them to be extra careful in because one wrong turn could mean turning their bodies into shadows.

Jay nudged Zane with his elbow. "You said we're looking for a spellbook right? Why is it always a spellbook? Why can't it be a fun adventure book for once? Or a cookbook?"

"When I think of spellbooks, all I can think about is Chen," Cole shivered at the thought of the Anacondrai-obsessed man that had way too many buttons in his chair.