Chapter 11: Advice

(Y/N POV)

You sprang backwards just in time to dodge the nunchucks aiming for your head, zigzagging as if you were dancing.

"Come on, (y/n), kick his butt!" Cole cheered enthusiastically from the sidelines.

You readjusted your grip on the hook swords and charged towards Jay, bringing down the weapons in slashing motions.

Jay blocked nearly all your attacks except for the one you managed to land on his shoulder.

"Ow!" the blue ninja yelped.

You smirked in response, gaining confidence.

You went at him again with some jabs and slashes, but apparently you got a bit too confident.

"Ow!" it was your turn to yelp in pain.

You rubbed your lower back to soothe the throbbing pain, pouting at Jay who had come up behind you like the speedy ninja he was.

Facing him again, you readied your stance, watching Jay's body language for any openings.

The heat of the sun was beating down on you and your chest was heaving from catching your breath.

Jay dove to attack first, swinging his nunchucks, and you did your best to keep up and parry before you got a faceful of his weapon.

You briefly wondered if he was going easy on you.

You spotted an opening and took the opportunity to switch to offense and swipe at him, attempting to hook the chain of his nunchuck away so you could throw a kick.

Jay let go of the weapon and ducked, doing a forward roll to catch his falling nunchucks.

You quickly turned to face him again as your mind raced to think of other attack combinations.

"Not bad, (y/n)!" Jay shot you an encouraging smile. "You're getting better."

And before you knew it, you fell backwards to the ground, losing grip on the swords, and the sky was staring back at you.

Before you even blinked, Jay had dropped to the floor to sweep his legs and trip you before you could register it.

"Augh," you groaned from the sudden pain. "But not good enough."

The blinding sun rays were then covered by a mop of curly hair.

You squinted up at Jay's smiling face, your eyes jumping to the hand he offered you.

Taking his hand, you got up to your feet and ran a hand through your hair, wiping off the sweat accumulated on your forehead.

"I'm sure you'll get there soon," Jay chirped, collecting your swords before placing them on a nearby crate.

"Yeah, in no time, you're gonna be the one putting Jay on his back," Cole clapped you on your back, to which you winced due to the still-present soreness. "Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to hurt you more."

You reassured him that it was okay.

"Do you have to practice your singing power a lot?" Jay asked.

You shook your head. "Not really, but whenever I feel like I should, I just sing to Faye."

"Ooooh, can you try it on me, please?"Jay clasped his hands together in a begging gesture.

"Me too, me too!" Cole joined in.

You looked at both of them unsurely, uncomfortable with the idea.

"No, I really shouldn't," you refused.