Chapter 12: Aconite

(Y/N POV)

As the Bounty hovered over the Jungle of Panoryum, you leaned over the edge, clutching the rail.

The jungle was quite thick and you couldn't really see anything more than just the color green.

You turned around and jerked a thumb back at the jungle.

"We have to jump down?" you asked in disbelief.

The ninjas were already suited up with parachutes on their backs, arming themselves with weapons.

"'We'? You're not coming with us," Kai said. "It's too dangerous."

Your jaw dropped.

"What?!" you exclaimed. "I thought I was going with you guys! I don't wanna stay here and do nothing."

"Kai's right. We don't know what we'll be facing down there, so it'll be safer for you to stay here," Cole placed a hand on your shoulder.

You frowned. "I'm not completely helpless. I want to be useful."

"What if we encounter Keos again?" Zane asked, trying to get you to stand down.

"Then I'll kick his ass!" you said firmly. "Please let me come with you. I can help. I want to help."

The ninjas exchanged glances.

"Oh alright," Kai finally relented. "Don't get yourself into any trouble, okay?"

You nodded eagerly and ran to retrieve your hook swords along with a parachute. When you returned, Wu, Misako, and Pixal were holding weapons with a circular base and three curved points sticking out of it.

"Here are the aeroblades in case Keos makes an appearance," Wu said as he handed out the aeroblades to the ninjas, except for Nya since she has her water ability.

Pixal handed the last aeroblade to Jay before spotting you watching. "I am sorry, (y/n). We have only five aeroblades."

You knew you were a lot less qualified than the ninjas, but it still somewhat disappointed you. "It's okay, I understand."

"We're approaching a clearing. Prepare to jump," Misako announced after observing from the railing.

"Ready team? Let's make this as quick as possible," Lloyd said.

Then he jumped off the Bounty.

The rest of the ninjas quickly followed, leaving you glued on the spot with your jaw dropped at how they didn't hesitate to jump off.

"Go, (y/n)! You mustn't waste any time," Wu urged.

"R-right!" you stammered, heaving your body up on the ledge.

The ninjas were getting smaller and smaller in size and you needed to jump off to land in the clearing in time. Clenching your jaw, you emptied your brain of all thoughts and jumped off before you had any second thoughts.

Your limbs flailed around awkwardly as your hair whipped around you rapidly from the strength of the wind.

Jumping off a flying ship definitely wasn't something you thought you'd ever do in your life.

The ninjas pulled the string to release their parachutes, so you did the same, causing your body to jerk into an upright position. You kicked your feet in the air as you descended, growing more frantic because of how fast you were suddenly rushing towards the ground.

"Woah—oh my god, wait!" you exclaimed, your eyes widening in panic as the dirt ground was getting real close.

Crash!