Chapter 8: Riddle Me This

Darkness surrounded you due to lack of a light source and the secret passage had an eerie vibe that sent chills through your body.

"I think I found a torch," Nya said. "Kai, fire."

A flame brought forth some light into the darkness, casting an orange glow onto everyone.

"I'm really sorry," you said for the millionth time today. "It's my fault he trapped us in here."

"No need to blame yourself," Wu placed his hand on your shoulder. "We could not predict he would do this and what's done is done. We must focus on finding a way out."

You lowered your head and shuffled your feet behind everyone.

Everything was going wrong because of you.

If you had just stayed back at the Bounty, you wouldn't be trapped in a cave like this.

If you had used your power earlier, the Bounty wouldn't be damaged.

"Which path do we take?" Nya asked, drawing you out of your lamenting.

You looked up to see the cave split off into three possible paths.

You assumed that if you chose the wrong one, you were as good as dead.

"Oh I hate caves," Jay complained. "How are we supposed to know which way to go?"

"Zane, do you think you can contact Pixal?" Lloyd asked the nindroid.

"I will try," he replied.

A few seconds later, he shook his head.

"I can't reach her," he placed his hand on the rocky wall. "There is a lot of copper in the earth of this cave and it's blocking my connection."

Lloyd sighed. "Guess we have to figure this out ourselves."

Zane moved closer to the three paths. "Let me try to scan for the safest passage."

You wondered how much he could see in the dark passageways.

"The middle passage is the safest option, if my scans were correct," Zane informed.

The group trudged into the middle path and you stayed right behind Jay and Cole for safety.

"Is anyone else getting the heebie jeebies?" Jay hugged himself, looking around the cave.

"I don't think we'll be getting out that easily..." you muttered to yourself.

"Wait!" Nya shouted from her position at the front of the group.

"What is it, Nya?" Wu questioned.

"Oh ho ho, what do we have here?" an unfamiliar voice sang out with a lilt in their voice.

"Some stragglers I see," another voice said with a playful tone, danger underlying it.

The voices weren't feminine, but they weren't super masculine either.

But whoever was there in the cave with you...they probably weren't friendly.

"Who are you?" Kai demanded.

The others moved up so you were able to get closer and see who was there.

"Uhh, does that guy have two faces or am I just seeing things?" Cole whispered to you.

You were quite confused by the sight.

In front of you stood a large statue that had two faces on either side of it like they shared the same head.

Only their side profiles were visible.

"No no, I see it too," you whispered back at him, trying to make sense of the statue.