Chapter Twenty

With Angelo breathing it changed everything for George. He knew it and Annabelle knew it, she chose not to admit it.

'Well?' he asked? His eyes not leaving her for a moment.

'I do not know', she said quietly.

George sat down beside her on the bed. He had missed her petal soft skin and her touch. This was not the right time to feel what he was feeling. He watched her closely her eyes avoiding his. He pulled back a stray hair that was hanging over her eye and then turned her face to his. She kept her eyes focused on the sheets. George smiled at himself for a moment. 'Annabelle,' he whispered trying not to sound hungry, Celia had left and he had not been with any woman since. After Lord Conrad's visit he had avoided her because he wasn't sure he would be able to contain himself if he let himself near her. He thought, tonight, if he showed  her how much he loved her and longed for her she would not want to leave him. It was not the best idea but he was a man and he knew for him that would work, perfectly.

She let out a light breath when his thumb softly caressed her cheek. He leaned in a little closer when a knock on the door pulled away her attention from him and fear replaced the soft loving look in her eyes. George internally cursed whoever was at the door. He made it to the door in three swift steps and promised hell for whoever had knocked. He opened the door to find Sir Ashton standing there with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

The rage within him was too strong, he lifted his clenched fist to Sir Ashton's face and sent him flying backwards dropping the flowers. How dare this man enter his house and make his way to wife's bedroom like he lived here. Annabelle was now at the door, Sir Ashton stood up and lunged forward to throw a punch but George moved out of the way. He was already in motion, his fist was in the air and coming down fast. It landed on Annabelle. She was thrown backward by the force and landed on the floor.

Ashton stopped. What had he done? If George had not moved. His fist was meant for George's face. Annabelle let out a moan as she tried to sit up. He stepped forward but George blocked his path. His eyes filled with rage. Ashton took that as his queue to leave. He would however come back.

Annabelle was a little disoriented. She felt an arm around her and another pick her up. The last thing she remembered seeing was her husband's face, his smiling face.

She woke up well after dinner. There was another form on her bed, she turned her aching head to it. George was sound asleep. His face looked softer when he slept, there was a slight curve on his mouth. He must be having a good dream, she thought to herself. Her head ached, she closed her eyes and tried to remember why. Ashton had thrown a punch at her, well she thought it was about time. She tried to get up when his arm held her down. 'Will you please let me get up George.'

He mumbled something into the pillow before moving closer to her and locking her with his legs. He should not have tried because his body responded to his position immediately.

'I wish to relieve myself George. I do not suppose the maids would appreciate washing my sheets otherwise.'

He opened his eyes and looked up at her smiling face. He mumbled again into the pillows before getting up and carrying her to the toilet. He put her down and lifted her night dress. His hands sliding over her skin.

'George', she yelled out. 'I am quite capable of helping myself. I do not need your help thank you', she was pulling her dress back down. He didn't seem to hear her or care for her need to be decent.

He pulled down her undergarments and sat her on the toilet. Annabelle was not sure this man was fully awake. He was leaning against the wall watching her but she was not sure he could see her. His eyes seemed to be half closed. She finished her business and stood up pulling up her undergarments before he could react. He lifted her off the ground and took her back to bed.