chapter one

Her mother picked up her embroidery but set it down again as soon as Annabelle spoke.

'Mother please', Annabelle ran to her side and dropped on her knees. 'Please reconsider'.

'My child', her mother said taking her daughters face in her hands, 'it has already been confirmed'.

'But mother', Annabelle pulled away from her in anger. 'You make decisions for my life without the slightest regard for my feelings and opinions on the matter and then expect me to abide by them. NEVER'.

Her mother stood up, so that her tall frame spoke with authority over her daughter, 'It has been settled Annabelle'.

'No mother, it has not. I will not, I refuse to marry a man I barely know'.

'Annabelle', her mother said in anger. She was tired of her daughter's rantings. Annabelle was spoiled, she had mentioned this to Anthony but he refused to listen to her. He continued to spoil her, buy her all she wanted, took her all the places she requested to go. 'Your father and I would not have sent the request if we didn't think it was good for you'.

'Then father and you could marry him', she screamed back.

'Marry who'? Her father asked walking in through the wooden hand carved doors. He was in his usual happy, non-chalant mood as always. He placed his papers on the desk then turned to his ladies.

The tension in the room was thick and had taken the place of air. He knew George was the matter being discussed. He had never accepted to it but his wife was insistent. Feeling for his daughter he stood by her side and watched his wife disapprove.

'Father', Annabelle turned to him, 'please I am barely a Lady and yet you want to throw me in the field of women. Father please, he and I are not even of the same colour. He will treat me like a maid. Father please don't let me suffer'.

The doors opened and Ronald, their faithful butler who had been with them for twenty-five years announced a Sir George Devonshire had arrived and was requesting a presence with Lord Edwards.

'I shall be right there'. Lord Edwards replied. Ronald nodded and retreated behind the doors closing them shut.

'Father please', Annabelle pleaded. Her father kissed her forehead and escorted his wife from the room.

Annabelle felt defeated. She sat behind her father's desk and dropped her head. She stared at the floor for a long time, then the doors opened.

George stepped in, his eyes already wandering about. He noted Lord Edwards was a reader. The line of shelves filled with books picked his fancy. He could however not speak for his taste. The room, unlike the rest of the house, was dreary. A dark brown coloured all the furniture and the curtains were a pale yellow that further drew the beauty from the view the large windows offered.

His eyes finally landed on Annabelle. Her head was still buried in her hands. Her curly hazel hair was spread across the table around her head. Her skin looked smooth from where he stood, but it was also a shade darker than his. His mother had told him people like this existed but they were often the product of drunken men behaving in the worst of manners.

'This is an insult', his voice thundered through the room. Annabelle sat up straight, her hand on her chest. George was standing by the door, anger flaring from his green eyes.

Annabelle stood up and curtsied before him and offered him a seat which he rudely denied. 'My parents sent me here to marry a maid. A maid!, his voice echoed through the room increasing Annabelle's already existing hatred.

She had always been put down because one of her parents was dark skinned. She walked up to George and spoke ever so firmly, 'I did not ask you to come here, I did not even want to meet you, so if you feel you are in the presence of a servant you know where the door is, Sir George'. She turned on her heel and walked out.

He watched her carry herself like the lady she was towards the staircase. He had never been spoken back to by a woman, and he was not going to let this be the first time. He followed her in swift steps and caught her arm before she reached the forth step. He turned her around and watched her hazel eyes drop to his grip on her.

She was beautiful, an innocent beauty that made him smile to himself inside. She was darker than him, yes, but that was her beauty. Rich like coffee, she smelled of lavender and looked like gold. She placed her other hand on her hip and fixed her eyes on him. He felt like all the air he had had left him.

He let go of her and recomposed himself. 'I wouldn't want to marry a maid, not even if my life depended on it'.

She came down the stairs until she was looking him right in the eyes, 'And I would not want to marry an insolent, sluttish man like yourself who preys on young women and depends on a handsome face. I do not need a proposal, nor do I need you to respect me. And if you think I am looking for someone to make me feel small, I can assure you I do not need you for that either'. She stepped back.

'Good morning My Lady', a voice from behind George spoke. Annabelle's eyes went from a cold stare to a happy warm welcome as she moved them from him to Lord Markham.

'How do you do, Lord Markham. Rather early for a visit is it not'?

'It is never too early for My Lady', he said kissing her hand ever so gently.

'You flatter me'.

'It is not my intention, my intention is to speak only truth'. He held out his hand which she took happily as he led her towards the door.

George watched them walking out. They disappeared on the other side of the door but not before Sir George heard Annabelle say, 'he's no-one a friend on mama's I presume', then the door closed.