Chapter Twenty Five

George fell in an out of consciousness for the next few days. Annabelle worried over his health. She worried over Lord Conrad's as well. She had not heard from his wife even after sending numerous letters every day. Her husband would want to wake to news his friend was alive and well.

The house hold was quiet, their servants whispered in hushed tones and when Annabelle walked past them they would quiet down. She had also made an effort to send word to his family but knew not an address to send her letters. She had stayed by her husband's side, calming him when he would wake screaming for his life. The doctor called on them regularly and assured her he would get better, but she could not see it.

Angelo had not come back and that worried her as well. He, Sir Ashton and Lord Markham were turning out to be men she did not know. She had never known Angelo to be possessive and violent and Lord Markham had always been a friend to her. She wondered what possible motive he would have for trying to harm her. She did not alert her parents, her mother would no doubt suffer an attack of some sort believing her daughter was in danger. Her father would come collect her regardless of what she may say.

'Conrad,' George stirred and opened his eyes. He looked around the room, his eyes landed on Annabelle she was sleeping in the chair next to his bed, a position she had become accustomed to. The events of the attack replayed in his head. He remembered seeing a man standing afar and watching. Waiting. Lord Conrad had tried to fight their attackers off as best he could. The knife in him put a stop to his efforts. The memory of seeing his friend drop to the ground seeming lifeless was too much to bear. It fueled his hatred further. One man hovered over him waiting for him to take his last breath.

He opened his mouth to speak but it was dry, only a low sound came out. Annabelle woke to the sound, she jumped out of her chair. 'George, are you alright?' she asked. 'Should I send for the doctor, I shall,' she ran out of the room. George heard her voice screaming for the doctor to be sent and water to be brought up immediately. She returned to her husband's side. His eyes were stuck on her. Piercing through her. She was afraid for him. What happened was her fault. She was responsible for his pain. How was she to explain that Angelo was alive and well? How would she explain Sir Ashton had warned her but she had said nothing to him? There were too many concerns but for now she was concerned with his health.

The door opened and in came a lady servant with water on a tray. She placed it on the table in the middle of the room and left. Annabelle fetched the water and gave it to him, instructing him to take only small sips at a time. 'The doctor will be here soon George. I am glad you are awake.' She smiled.

A week later George was able to make it all the way to his study unaided. He had prayed his wife would not come looking for him. He was in no mood to speak to the woman who tried to take his life. He, however, did not understand why. She had no child. Upon his death she would not inherit anything from him. Why would she want him dead? Angelo!

He had sent word to Lord Conrad's home informing him of his healing hoping his friend too had found his way home. He was happy to receive a letter almost immediately from Claire stating Conrad was healing, not as fast, but healing. He was now able to eat a whole meal without any pain whatsoever.  He too was rather curious as to why they were attacked. He had promised to call on George as soon as he was able to. If George knew his wife well, he would be making no such trip anytime soon.

'George,' Annabelle's voice sounded from the door. 'You should be resting.'

'I suppose I should,' he answered coldly.

'What is the matter with you? You have been nothing but cold and rude since you recovered,' she said angrily. Yes he had a right to be angry but why should he be angry with her.

'Do you intend to tell me why you and your band of thieves wanted me dead?' he asked 'If you wanted to leave me dear wife, you should have simply said so. I know your lover did not die. He is here. I know he paid you a visit the day I arrived. Was he here to see if he had completed the task? You spoke with him in this study, did you not?'

'George,' she gasped. 'How dare you speak to me of such evils? Why in the world would you think I would want to kill you? And if I did I would not hire bandits to do it, I would do it myself,' she yelled.

'So I can take that as a confession? Should I alert the authorities they are looking for the wrong men. The one responsible for my almost death is a woman.'

'George?'

'Please Annabelle, stop with the theatrics.'

'How dare you?' she picked up a candle stand and threw it at him. He moved just in time. It hit the wall behind him before landing on the ground sending a ringing noise into the air.

'Ah, as it seems you are still trying to kill me. I shall lend you a sword perhaps. I am sure we have a few somewhere in this house.' He came from around the table and made his way to her slowly. Her chest was rising and falling. He had infuriated her. He was glad. She would speak the truth if she was angry.

'You are ruthless,' she screamed before heading for the door. He moved in swift motion to stop her just as her hand pulled on the handle. The door slammed shut and he spun her around her back on the door and him standing so close to her he could feel her every breath.

'Where do you think you are going Lady Annabelle? I am not dead yet.'

'Let me go at once. I cannot speak to you when you have had one too many of whatever it is you are consuming you damned man!' her fists banging on his chest.

He held her hair in his hands, softly at first then he took a fistful of it and pulled her from the door. He dragged her across the room ignoring her screams and huffs. He dropped her on his chair behind his desk. Annabelle was not one to turn away from a fight. She got up immediately surprising him. She pushed him with all her strength, he stumbled backward and she made her way for the door once again. 'Not so fast,' he held her by the waist and pulled her to him. He turned her around again and this time instead of trying to hurt her he crashed his mouth against hers.

She protested trying to pull away and not gaining him any sort of entrance. He soon got frustrated and pulled at her corset. He pulled it so hard it ripped off. The buttons on the back went flying across the room and it slipped off.  Annabelle felt relief as air entered her once again. She tried pulling away from him again only for him to hold her tighter.

'George, unhand me this instant!' she spoke when he moved from his assault on her lips.

'I have only used you once Annabelle. That seems highly unfair don't you think?' he took her mouth again. This time finding her lips parted. He slid his tongue inside. She used this opportunity bringing her teeth down on his tongue. The pain that soared through him enraged him further. 'Damn woman!' he yelled. He let go and spat out blood.

She stood back satisfied with her efforts. 'Dear husband is that your rug you are staining? Did you hurt yourself?' she asked with no touch of concern and a smile on her face. The look in his eyes frightened her. She had never seen him this way. A small part of her liked it. She wanted to see just how far he would go. Was he angry at her for his near death encounter or was he angry at her because she and he had not been husband and wife?

'Come here,' he hissed under his breath. She shook her head and turned around. How is it possible this woman made him so angry but yet the only thing he wanted to do was be with her in this moment. From the moment she had walked it he reacted to her presence. Her corset had pushed up her breasts just the right way. When she screamed and her chest rose and fell all he could think about... this time he was not so lucky, a smaller candle stand landed on his chest.

'So you like to play Annabelle? He asked slyly.

He took two steps and lifted her off the ground, throwing her over his shoulder. He marched out of the study and up the staircase taking them to at a time. He entered his chambers and shut the door.