Chapter Thirty Five

'Have you come to continue to insult me?' she asked. Anger slowly rising within her. Why was he sitting in her study? Who had let him in?

'I did not come looking for a fight Annabelle.'

'Then why are you here? And get out of that chair you have no right to sit on it.' At her words he leaned back on the chair. She glared at him. Her eyes warning.

'You left without saying goodbye. And it did not escape my attention you were not well when you left.'

'As you can see I am fine and you seemed rather occupied. I am not one to inconvenience a man with a silly thing such as an adios. Get out of that chair George!' her tone surprising them both. He stood up but stayed behind the desk.

'Whose study is this Annabelle?'

'That is no longer any of your business. I spoke with my father. He has agreed to have a divorce granted to us. I shall state I was unfaithful. I am not interested in being attached to any other man. I will leave the continent and rid you of this,' she paused, 'unfortunate situation.'

'You will do no such thing!' he slammed his fist on the desk. Annabelle jumped back a little startled at his outburst. It was only then she noticed his eyes were slightly red. His shirt was stained and he looked like had had no sleep in days. Could he be suffering from her absence? She pushed the thought to the back of her mind.

'You are my wife Annabelle and it shall stay that way until death do us part.'

'We are no longer living George, I am no longer living! You have destroyed what little hope I had at having a marriage and a life with you. The first man to spread a rumor and there my husband goes like a woman with nothing to do. The great Sir George, you should focus on running your estate.'

He came from around the desk and took a hold of Annabelle's arm. His fingers laced around it, tightening with each breath. 'You will not leave. We are not getting a divorce and you will live under my roof if I have to lock you inside and throw away the key.' He spat out at her.

She shook free from his grip. He had always wondered where her strength had come from. He knew Clarisse had forged her own way in life and had chosen a path less travelled by women, but Annabelle was the only child. She had no atmosphere to train herself and yet she had strength and speed like he had seen in no other woman of the ton.

'I will not leave this room unless I leave it with you. It is your choice Annabelle.'

She huffed and walked around him to seat herself on her chair. She had spent many moments with Angelo in her study. It almost felt like a betrayal letting her husband inside it. He was in the portrait hanging above the desk. The portrait George's eyes were fixed on. 'So he was the man in the portrait. Your lover? Was this his study?

'Be quiet,' she breathed.

'Is that why we first made our acquaintance in here? So he could see the man who would marry you?'

Annabelle took a deep breath. George was hurting her.

'And I say marry you Annabelle because no sensible man would attach himself to a woman of color no matter how faint the coloring. I was forced into this marriage as I am sure you were not. This marriage was beneficial to you. With our children your color would never be seen. Your mother wished to wipe out her shame? I understand, if she would have had a son your father's lands and titles would fall onto a true Englishman. A pure Englishman not what you represent.' As soon as the words left his mouth he knew he had made a big mistake. She lifted her head slowly. Tears on the verge of falling. Her face had grown pale and suddenly she looked older.

She slowly rose and pulled herself to her full height. 'Well then Sir George. I believe during our first encounter I mentioned to you I did not need you to make me feel small about myself. But I must honestly and openly admit, those words, spoken right now, that is the smallest I have ever felt. Had I known marrying someone like me was such an embarrassment to you I would have fought my mother much harder. I do pray you live a long healthy life Sir George, one without me by your side.' She curtsied and walked towards the door. Before she left, she stopped and placed her hand on her stomach, 'just so you know our child is growing and no matter what he looks like I will love him. I will also tell him his father was a good man despite the man I see standing before me. One who saw beyond a small matter such as pigment. Goodbye Sir George.'

bfy6{�]�CL�