Chapter Fifteen

Graciella was the noisiest girl Annabelle had ever met. She ran everywhere she went. Annabelle began to wonder if the young lady even knew how to walk. George seemed to mind his family and would make himself present whenever they were required to all be in the same room. Annabelle already having faced discrimination once, refused to join George's mother on her excursions. She knew who she was and did not need reminding. Now she fully understood where George's first opinion of her had stemmed from.  

The only words that did not seem like they were accusations to the color of her skin his mother offered her was the observation that George could look healthier. But this was quickly followed by 'I was of the opinion your kind cooked all day long because you had nothing else to do.'

George cursed inwardly. He had called his mother here for his wife to have another woman to share her thoughts with not be accused of something he could not change. He had made it known that night that if his mother and sister could not respect his wife they were no longer welcome under his roof. The threat went unnoticed to his mother but Graciella had schooled her opinions since then. George had made a note to ask Annabelle if she was being treated well, she lied to prevent further altercations, but she secretly waited for the day their visit would end. 

Annabelle found her husband in his study late in the night. He was staring at the glass in his hand. A glass that happened to be empty. She hadn't been with him since that first time. He looked up startled, when he saw it was her he relaxed back into his chair. She understood none of it. His mother seemed strange and his sister acted like someone who lived on opium. She ate with the most astonishing dinning table manners and spoke with her mouth full.

Another thing that baffled Annabelle was the lack of similar features on him and his sister. She saw his mother's eyes in her husbands, and her hair and flare in Graciella but between the two children there was no similarity. 

Their home was silent before the arrival of his family but now the silence was deafening.

'I hope I am not intruding,' she said softly.

'Not at all.'

She closed the door behind her. He looked like he had lost a good friend or perhaps a father. They never spoke of their father, if he was the same man.

'Your mother has been inquiring on your whereabouts George. I did not know what to tell her.'

'But you told her something,' he said with a note of anger.

'Yes, I told her business kept you away. It is certainly the time of year when crops are gathered and sold to different places. It is understandable why you are away all the time.'

'Is it?' he asked

Annabelle was taken aback by his response. Not for any other reason but his complete lack of regard of her concern. She knew family was a matter of importance to a man especially where his mother is concerned. It, however, did not warrant disrespect of one's sympathy. 'Forgive me for being concerned, George. I was under the impression you needed someone to talk to.'

'It is not conversation I am seeking, dear wife, it is satisfaction.' The words fell from his mouth and hit Annabelle like a rock. George went back to staring at his glass. He kept silent while she stood there staring at him. Seeing no further use for her presence in his study she excused herself rather quietly. When the door closed behind her, George threw the glass in his hand. It hit the wall and scattered into a million pieces.

For the first time his wife had come to him and he was too involved in his own thoughts to acknowledge her presence and concern. Guilt washed over him at the thought of the decision he had made. He cursed his mother for once again manipulating him to do her will. He and Annabelle had found a place of understanding and now it was all going to fall apart. It was true he was frustrated. Any man would be. His wife all but avoided him when it came to matters of intimacy. A fact he wished he had not shared with his mother. Celia would be living under his roof, until his mother and her wretched daughter left.