Chapter Twenty Nine

Lord Edwards was happy to see his daughter. She had ceased writing and he hardly had time to go see her. When his daughter walked through the doors a light came back into his home. Her cheer and laughter as she hugged her friends. She called them friends, he called them servants.

'These are your genes,' his wife whispered as they had lunch. 'All these traits are from your family. My mother may have been a colored woman but she was a woman of poise. How did she become so wayward?' she asked.' Of course it is all your fault. Turning a blind eye instead of letting me raise her right.'

'A cane is no way to teach a child right from wrong Sarah,' Lord Edwards said lazily. His daughter was chatting happily with Ronald who she had insisted sit down and tell her of all she had missed.

'My mother caned me.'

'And you were bitter when I met you, do you not remember?' he placed his hand on hers.

She shot him a look. All it did was make him smile. If she was to be honest with herself she was still bitter on the inside. She still held resentment to all of England for the way they treated her daughter, like she was an outcast and not welcome. She watched Annabelle talk animatedly with Ronald and sighed. Annabelle had a god heart. She was kind woman who saw the light in everyone including her, even when she was being difficult. That is the one trait she was grateful her daughter inherited from her father. A heart so big it could love all of England if necessary. She placed her hand atop her husband's, 'oh Anthony, why are you so perfect?'

'There is nothing perfect about me.' He replied, knowing she had gone to war in her mind and come to her own conclusions. 

Annabelle would look over to parents every now and then. They had love in their marriage. Her mother was a hot tempered woman and her father could not be calmer. She wondered how they found the balance between. She was still trying to find hers. She had not wanted to be married but her husband had made her happy since his recovery, she wished it would stay that way.

Annabelle walked into her father's study and found him intently studying a document. He looked up when he saw her and smiled but she noticed his smile did not reach his eyes. He quickly put away what was in front of him and stood to direct her to the settee, that was something her father never did. 

'Tell me my dear, why are you here?'

'I came to see you papa. I have missed the warmth of home.'

'There is no warmth...'

She cut him off. Her feeling like a flood overcoming her, 'No papa, there is none. There are moments of peace, moments of passion but they few and scattered. I never know what the day will bring.'

He looked at her. Her eyes held a worry, 'What is it Anna?'

Her tears spilled out. There was a time in her life that name could make everything within her jump for joy because she knew...but that time was in the past. The only thing that name reminded her of was pain. 'Angelo is alive father. He did not die and he has come back to claim me as his. My husband, George, he is a jealous man. We have been at odds. Papa I do not know what to do.'

Lord Edwards sat back. So it was true, Angelo was alive. He took a deep breath. There was time he welcomed the boy into his home and supported Annabelle's decision to wed him. He pulled Annabelle into an embrace. 'Have you spoken to him?'

'Yes papa.'

'And how did you feel?'

'I love my husband despite his constant indiscretions and his temper and his mother. I love him papa. But I am afraid for him. Angelo died...almost died because he loved me. What will happen to George. Ashton warned me of impending danger as sure as daylight shines on this earth George and Lord Conrad were attacked by highway men and left for dead. Papa...'

'Ssssh dear,' he stroked her hair. There were strange things happening and Lord Edwards was now sure they were all because of Angelo's return. 

'Papa, what am I to do?'

'Go back to your husband Anna. Stay with him and leave this to me. I have always kept you and your mother safe.'

She sat up and looked at him, 'Mama? What does she have to do with this?'

'Nothing dear,' he stroked her face, wiping away the tears. 'Leave it to me. Now let us put a smile on that face. We do not want your mother thinking you are unhappy.' 

'A master Angelo is here to see you,' George put down his papers. Angelo had come to see him. He surely was looking for Annabelle.

'Let him in,' the door opened wider and Angelo walked in. 'Please sit.'

Angelo sat across him a smile playing on his lips. He had heard of George's temper and lack of trust. After all he had thought his wife, Anna, had tried to kill him. 'I don't suppose Anna is here.'

'You shall not refer to my wife as Anna, to you she is Lady Annabelle. What do you want Angelo?' he asked impatiently.

'I assume she has filled you in, that is the reason for your foul temper, yes?' he smiled when George growled lowly. ' You lived through that horrendous accident you should be a little more grateful,' this would surely be easy his temper was already on the edge.

'I am sure you hoped I would die.'

'No not me, your wife however.'

'Be quiet!'

'Calm down. How do you think I knew which window to stand at? And your walk in the garden the next day? The letters Anna has been sending to her father that you never questioned,' he pulled envelopes from a bag he was carrying and placed them on the table. Beatrice had come in handy. He had always doubted her skills when she spoke of them, but her hand was blessed. She had forged Annabelle's handwriting quite well. It looked authentic, no one would question the letters were written by her hand.

George looked them over and opened one envelope dated before he and Lord Conrad had set off on their journey.

Dearest Angelo,

Your brother came to see me warning me of impending danger on that man I married. Please if you could make sure he does not die. I know he hates his mother and his sister is nothing but a twit but his estate shall have no one to run it upon his death.

I have come up with a plan that will satisfy us both, it will however require your patience.

I am to have a child with him. After the child's sixteenth birthday then you may have your brother do what he wishes with George. There will be no other option than to leave his estate to the child.

The poor man believes me in love with him. He truly is a fool. Mama picked well for me.

I cannot wait until I am fully in your arms once more.

Your love,

Anna.

George crumpled the paper in his hand and threw it into the fire. She had known. It had been a plan. That was the reason she had accepted him. That was why she was acting all loving to him. To have a child then have him killed? Why was he so blind? Why could he not see through her lies.

'Have you been alive all this time, speaking to my wife?' he asked infuriated.

'No, not all this time. But as soon as she found out I was alive and you were consorting with your whore, what other reason would the poor woman have to stay with you?'

 He looked over the expression of his fellow man and smiled. He was satisfied with his task. If you will excuse me George. I have matters to attend to. I had hoped it would not come to this. Anna and I love each other. You may release her to me now and let us be happy. Or suffer the pain of knowing the woman you lie next to is thinking of me. Respect yourself George, that is free advice from one man to another,' with that he left.