Chapter Twenty two

Angelo was now well enough to walk around all day without the fear of fatigue or pain. Beatrice had taken good care of him and he did not know yet how he would repay her. 

Beatrice had arrived home early with a basket in her hand and a smile on her face. Beatrice always smiled, Angelo wondered if it was because she was always happy or she always needed to remind herself to be happy. Either way the smile she had on today was a different kind of smile. It held such purity and joy and it echoed in her eyes. She placed the basket on the table and started unpacking its contents.

A loaf of bread, meat or rather what looked like meat and small cakes. It was amazing what made this woman happy. She had no occupation to speak of so he supposed a good and caring hand would be enough to satisfy her.

'I went to see my Grandma today,' she said with a smile when she noticed the look of confusion on Angelo's face. 'Bless her soul. Always saying I am far too skinny. She gave me this. Now all I have to do is make us a good broth and we shall eat like the kings,' she said smiling.

Angelo never tired of her energy. Now he was well enough to walk he would also contribute to the household chores and groceries. His mother had taught him to bake and he would show Beatrice. She was not a master in the kitchen, her broth always had a tad bit too much salt or not enough. There were times the broth had no salt at all. He was thankful to the woman who had taken care of him. He knew if it was a white lady from London she would never have helped him.

Society had looked down on the colored people and yet they had the biggest hearts and were the kindest people.

'Let me help you. Since I am well enough to walk I will make supper and you can let me spoil for tonight, for you have taken such good care of me.'

'Oh Angelo, please. This may be one of your last night's here. Please let me.'

'It certainly is not. Unless you haven't realized I have no home so to speak and no family either.'

'The woman?' she asked. Quite shocked he did not consider her family. She was now seated at the table and Angelo was beside her. She had never known his story and was always afraid to ask in case she was considered far too blunt.

'She is now married.'

'But she is yours?'

'Not anymore.' He let his own words wash over him.

'Tell me Angelo how it is you came to be in this situation. I asked about town and your brother Ashton is a wealthy man. So is a family friend Lord Markham. Why not reach out to them for help?'

'Beatrice, one would think you have tired of my company.'

'Angelo, of course not. A handsome man like yourself living under my roof. It is only every girl's dream.'

'They put me here. I could not possibly go to them for help.'

'The woman? She loved you, yes? Why not approach her. I am sure her husband could be of great assistance to you.'

'No. I have put her life in danger once. I will not risk it again. I must approach this situation with caution Beatrice. ' His words held such finality Beatrice did not dare inquire any further.

They had supper. Beatrice knew she was not the best cook in the world and Angelo's face told her there was too much salt once again. She thanked God for her grandmother's bread it was sweet and hid the extreme bitter taste of the salt.

Angelo ate in silence. She did not bother to engage him in any kind of conversation. She knew his mind was already occupied with thoughts of what he was to do next. She had asked about town and the stories people talked about scared her. The gentleman Lord Markham was planning on killing a woman's husband. She had further inquired as to who the man was, it was none other than Angelo's love's husband.