Chapter Thirteen

'I certainly hope you do not keep all your guests waiting in the same manner George.' Claire said when Annabelle and George came down two hours later.

'We apologize,' Annabelle smiled, ' My husband and I had unfinished matters that required our immediate attention.'

'We do understand,' Claire said with a smile.

The luncheon was better than Annabelle had expected. Lord Conrad and his wife loved each other very much it was easy to tell. She smiled whenever he spoke and their child was the most beautiful creature she had ever seen.

But as she watched them she could not help but be overcome with sorrow. She may never experience having a child. She wanted a child, no, children and a man who would love her and look at her the way Lord Conrad looked at his wife. She stole a glance at George, whose eyes were fixed on her. The thought that just maybe after what they had just shared, the possibility of having a home with love was not so far out of reach. 

But still she knew George had accomplished the one thing she had wanted to hold onto. The y had now consummated their marriage. He was free to do away with her. He may have discarded Celia's words, but his actions were very much in line with them. A fear crept into her at the thought of him leaving. She had never felt so close to another man before Angelo, and now she had never felt such fear of losing a man.

He smiled at her, a light smile but it held such promise. A promise of many more just like it to come. A promise of love. But Annabelle was far wiser than that. She knew good things in her life went well only for so long. It was only a matter of time until Ashton came calling again and her world would be turned upside down.

After lunch the men talked business, a topic Annabelle found rather interesting, but Claire found to be a bore so the ladies instead opted for a walk by the fountains.

They walked a while in silence, Claire taking in the land, it was a beauty, not a tree in sight, but full of rose bushes.

'I don't suppose you love roses?' she asked.

'Not at all, the roses were here when we arrived. I find their smell rather revolting.'

Claire smiled. 'You have been quiet Lady Annabelle.'

'Please call me Annabelle, that title is reserved only for George.'

She took her words in consideration. Annabelle reminded her of herself. She had spirit and strength. 'George is on your mind I believe?' Annabelle gave a small nod. 'Don't be afraid. He will stay with you regardless of what you have given up. What you believe to be something to hold over him.' She spoke with caution. 

'His mistress was here. She spoke to me.'

'That tart has no more sense than the men she sleeps with Annabelle. Your husband has a confidant in mine. And my husband has one in me. I do pray you will see me as a sister, for that is what you are.' Annabelle smiled, but the words did not put her at ease.

George watched his wife walking in the gardens intently focused on what Claire was saying. He had expected her to be happier, but she seemed sadden by what had happened between them.

'That is women dear friend, you will never understand them. You and your wife seem happier than your letters relayed.'

'We consummated the marriage today, but she seems upset by it Conrad I don't understand it.' He was worried she felt she had betrayed Angelo by going to bed with him, but he wouldn't take it back for anything. She was everything he had sought for in a woman. She was strong, she had an opinion and she drove him mad with passion. The mere sight of her made him want to take her and keep her to himself, for no one else to enjoy.

'George, you may find this hard to believe, but Claire did not speak to me for a month after we consummated our marriage. I was lost because the only person I wanted was her. She assumed every time I left the house I had sought out a mistress. Just love her beyond your normal capabilities and she will turn to you.' He had now joined him by the window. 

George had always found his friend far too wise for his years, but he made sense. Annabelle had not wanted the marriage but she was now bound in one. It was only normal she felt like she betrayed the only man in her heart. How he wished he would take Angelo's place.

Lord Conrad and his wife left shortly before sunset and the house went quiet once again.

Annabelle remained distant. Even as they dined all she offered in form of conversation was the quality of the food. He had now been married three months and yet he felt like they had gone back to the way it all started. The only conversation between them was the gardens and his business. He wished to reach out to his wife but he did not know what to say.

His mother had written and requested to call upon them for a month, he was reluctant to respond but he welcomed the thought of another woman in the house. His sister may be able to speak with Annabelle.

It was late in the evening George was in his study juggling the idea of selling a portion of his fathers business when Annabelle walked in. She looked unsettled and walked around the room looking over the books on the table. She picked up a few but quickly placed them back on the desk.

He found great amusement in her current state, knowing full well she was the sort of woman who would never hesitate to speak her mind. 'What is the matter Lady Annabelle?' he brought himself to ask when he came to the conclusion the woman was not going to speak. She looked at him, her hazel eyes ever so soft on his. They traced his face and landed on his lips before quickly moving back up to his eyes.

'Lady Annabelle,' Sir George stood up, he did not want to approach her lest she turn and run or not speak at all, for that was a trait his wife held with skill.

'Annabelle,' she said, 'my name is Annabelle.'

'Annabelle,' he said softly, 'what is it that I may help you with?'

'There is a matter I wish to discuss with you, though' she paused.

He waited not wishing to stop her thoughts.

'It is regarding what befell us.' She said quickly.

He smiled. His good friend was right. She had come to him. 'Did I hurt you?'

'No, no, of course not. You need not worry about that. Pain is simply a part of life, my mother always said. What would happen if a child was to come from such a union?'

'I would have a child.'

'Only that?'

He was not sure what she was trying to say and he had learned the painful lesson to never assume when it came to a woman. He had made that mistake once before and it cost him dearly. He watched her the fear in her eyes. Here was a woman he had come to love. The thought and feeling were both very strange to him, but it was true.

His thoughts went back to a conversation he had had with Celia, when he was newly married. He had gone to see her but his conscience would not let him touch her. Her conversations always were about her current profession, mistress to many and lover of none. She had made it clear to him she would always be there to warm his bed, but never his heart. His father had enjoyed her services and skill. On numerous occasions he had come home and he had seen her leaving his study, he always looked satisfied and she, she always looked at him longingly.

He had assured Celia once he bedded his wife, his arrangement with her would continue on. She has assured him no other woman would be able to please him as she did. Celia was right no other woman had come close to pleasing him, even his wife. She pleased him more.

Her gentleness, her hands, they had love. Unlike Celia's, they were cold and structured. She knew what he liked and did it with structure. Annabelle did it with passion.

'Yes only that,' he smiled. She returned his smile but only for a minute. She then excused herself from the room. She had let him call her Annabelle without her title. How could he possibly know what was going on in her head?

He knew a solution. A woman only ever spoke to another woman. He replied his mothers letter, extending an unending stay with them.