ONE

[CHAPTER ONE: SIT STILL AND LOOK PRETTY]

Dreamless sleep are Chassie's favorite. No cryptic messages to decode, no existential questions left in her brain when she wakes up asking herself "Is this a sign?" She was in the middle of one of those kinds of sleep, minding her own business, not bothering anyone. That was until Jane decided to wake her up.

Chassie peels her eyes open, a glare already fixed on her roommate.

"What do you want?" Chassie asks.

"It's council day!" Jane reminds as she hands Chassie a cup of coffee and sits down beside her.

"So excited," Chassie mumbles, placing the cup on her nightstand to lay back down.

"Exactly! Get excited!" Jane exclaims, jumping up from the bed to dance around the room. Chassie is bewildered at how much energy Jane has. She's usually high energy and bubbly, but she's never this hyper.

"How much coffee have you had today?" Chassie inquires.

Jane stops jumping for a moment to think, "Uh ... four cups?"

Yeah, council day. A day Chassie dreads every month, but this month, it's worse. This month, after many, many weeks of planning and talking it through, today is the day Ben announces the next crop of kids coming from the Isle. Chassie's not excited. Mostly because it's extra work for her to do, having to get them settled, help them find their classes, help them adjust. There's also the added benefit that the oh so benevolent — and stupid — King Ben has decided to give the people that tried to kill him a second chance.

Chassie personally thinks it's ridiculous, but for every argument she brought up, Ben had an excuse. Whatever, when he gets killed, it's not on her and she can tell him in hell "I told you so."

Chassie drags herself out of bed, ignoring Jane to the best of her ability as she gathers her clothes and walks for the bathroom. Jane follows her in and when Chassie turns to close the door, she almost jumped through the roof.

"What is wrong with you?" Chassie inquires.

"Nothing!" Jane responds, still after all this time one of the worst liars Chassie has ever met in her life.

"Okay, can you leave now?" Chassie asks, pushing lightly on Jane's shoulder so she goes back over the threshold. Chassie closes the door, hearing Jane pace right outside.

"Why hasn't he asked me to the Jewel-Bilee yet?" Jane asks.

Chassie sighs loudly, hoping her annoyance is heard through the door. "Aren't you guys dating or something? Isn't it kinda just ... I don't know assumed that you're going together?"