SEVEN

[CHAPTER SEVEN: OPPORTUNITY]

Surprisingly, CJ found her classes a breeze. She wouldn't consider herself to be the smartest person in the world, but she can bullshit her way through anything, even algebra. English was next, then chemistry, then lunch.

CJ didn't see much of Chassie. Not during breakfast, or passing in the halls, not even with her group of friends as they sat down together to eat another meal. As CJ observed them, she witnessed Evie pester her friends about something, Ben and Carlos chiming in from time to time while Mal, Henry, and Jay sat quietly. Evie at one point stormed off, Carlos following her lead after the conversation didn't go their way.

She wonders what the perfect six could be arguing about. She equates it to Harry's sour mood the whole day, something had to have happened, and she's too nosy not to know what it is.

She made it through her last three classes, even Remedial Goodness 101 taught by none other than cheery little miss Fairy Godmother. CJ is still trying to stave off the migraine that woman gave her.

Homework is not something CJ's accustomed to doing, she usually never did it, and teachers on the Isle didn't care enough to actually grade assignments. Here, it seems CJ has to follow the rules and be a good student like the rest of these morons. She won't have to do it soon -- hopefully.

She sits on her bed, books sprawled around her as she and Freddie exchange answers, completing their first assignment in half an hour. They peacefully worked like this, ignoring Gil who plays on the laptop mindlessly.

"What the hell is an analysis?" CJ asks.

"Just restate what's in the text," Freddie answers.

"I don't think we can use each other's work on this one," CJ states.

"You'll figure it out," Freddie assures.

Bored with her work, CJ sets her gaze on Gil, calling out his name. He turns in his seat, completely engaged on CJ like she's the only person in the room.

"What's wrong with Harry?" She inquires.

"He sat next to Chassie in class today," Gil responds.

CJ cocks her head, "That's it?"

Gil nods, innocently.

"I don't think you're telling me the truth, Gil," CJ declares.

The door busts open, "CJ!" Harry bellows as he slams her door closed again.

"Jesus Christ, what?" She asks.

"I need your help," Harry declares.

CJ laughs, her voice slowly fading as she notices her brother is being completely serious. "My help? You don't ask me for help, Harry, get out of here."