NINE

[CHAPTER NINE: CLUE]

CJ holds the yellow jewel between her fingertips. She holds it up to the light and closes one eye, peering through the clear-cut surfaces.

She wonders how they're going to use it, what they're going to use it for. Pushing Chassie closer and closer to Harry seems obvious but what are they supposed to do with the thing? Think it and make it happen? Magical jewels don't exactly come with instructions.

She's almost giddy at the prospect of Harry and Chassie back together. She might just not hate her brother as much as she does right now. He's insufferable over this even if he won't admit it and he hasn't been the same person he was a year ago or before that.

She wonders how this will play out. Will they sneak around again like they did on the Isle? Or will their tiny brains finally realize that they're in the land of opportunity maybe they should take one when one is presented.

A knock at her door makes her drop the crystal and hide it between her palm and her chest.

"What do you want?!" She shouts.

"Come to the door!" Evie's voice is muffled but still recognizable.

CJ opens her nightstand drawer and dumps the jewel inside, closing it up and walking to the door to open it. Evie stands outside with her hands on her hips, impatiently waiting.

"What's so —" CJ is cut off by Evie grabbing at her jacket collar and yanking her out of her room.

"You're coming with me," Evie declares.

"Okay, damn didn't need to ask me twice," CJ declares, allowing herself to be dragged through the halls.

"I wasn't asking," Evie states.

"Oh, kinky, I like you more now," CJ winks as she's hailed to another room and thrown inside. She's thrown into chaos with people yelling back and forth.

Carlos and Jane have their backs to the door trying to hold off Jay, Henry, and Harry from pushing their way out all the while arguing with each other.

"What is going on?!" Evie exclaims.

"You can't keep us here!" Jay exclaims over the other two yelling.

"Everyone shut up!" Evie demands, making the voices quiet down. "Sit, now!" Evie pushes the three towards the furniture.

"Why am I here again?" CJ asks.