11. Training

Your POV
Everything is not going well. I got into my car and drove above the speed limit, weaving in and out of cars that are too slow for my heated emotions right now.

I sat by the beach, looking into the horizon. Everything was a blur, people were continuing with their life yet I sat there frozen, as if time had stopped for me. I sat there for hours and hours, people have come and left yet I remain at my spot.

It was getting cold as the sun went down, I took one final look at your phone. Still no reply, before throwing it to the sea. No strings attached.

---

The next morning, I appeared at my workplace again. This time heading straight up to Ester's office with my keycard.

"You know you're not allowed to have any communications in here."

"I don't have anything with me."

"Normally I'll ask for a search, but I trust you. Stella here will guide you through the rest."

I knew Stella from my prior experience with NSA. I only know her name and her position here. When she got hired, I was already one of the senior ranking agents. It seems like many people have rise up the ranks when I was gone.

"We'll be going through a re-evaluation exercise today, to test your fitness and more." She led me into a room filled with gym equipment. Man... I haven't exercised for a long time.

I went through stages by stages with a few breaks in between. Tests are done such as agility, cardio, strength, speed and gun handling. It's safe to say that my fitness went down after retiring but the only thing which remained the same was gun handling. Guess I can't get away from muscle memories.

"We'll take the test again at the end of the week. This is your schedule, we'll be doing theory at night. Also, you'll be staying here." Stella hands me her tablet to take a look. It is jam pack, waking up as early as 6am, train, eat, train, eat, train, eat and study. It'll definitely drain the life out of me.

I gave it back to her and she guided me to my room. It is only filled with basic necessity seeing how I wouldn't be in my room the majority of the day anyways. Even though I came early this morning, it is already night-time. It's funny how work can be so draining yet distracting at the same time. 

---

"Agent Baker, it's time for your first training session." Stella's voice came through the intercoms. I groan as I get out of bed to get ready.

"So, you'll be the one training me?"

"Yes, wear your glove." She tossed me a spare glove that was lying around. The first session was boxing to get warmed up. I gave her a confused look. "Glove for the first session only." I guess she takes her work very seriously.

After a few rounds of sparring, someone sent in a tray of food. Calories have been counted for every meal and the meal list has been prepared in advance. I don't get a say in what I felt like eating. It felt like I was in a game, only able to do things that the player set.

Can I complain? Yes. Will I be heard? No.

At least the food wasn't horrible. I left the tray at the table as there would be people collecting it, before heading to the next training session, strengthening and conditioning. We did, or at least I did, upper and lower body. Getting weaker and weaker reps after reps. My muscles were screaming for me to stop but I knew I couldn't get away from it. Stella would double the rep if I did. I'm not going to be able to move the next day.

Finally it is time for the easier workout, gun handling. All I have to do is stand there and shoot. If I'm lucky, Stella may even let me off early. I wish, with someone as strict as her, I should count myself lucky to even be able to leave on time. It wasn't too bad during the gun session; my cluster was still close enough to satisfy her requirements. We went through the different types of weapon from pistol, to rifle to shotgun to sniper. The only thing was that my wrist and shoulder was hurting from all the recoil of shooting.

"I'll meet you at your room in two hours for theory." With that, Stella left you alone to find your way back to your room. Stella has never plastered any emotion on her face, not even a laugh or anger, she always has a stone-cold face. You weren't sure if she was doing her job and suppressing them or she just didn't like you. I mean, even Ester displayed some, even though it is mostly when making fun of someone.