22. Networking event

Your POV
Even though Natasha didn't say anything I know she's planning to join, I really hope I'm wrong and she just stays at her compound or at my house. It's too risky for her if people recognise her as an Avenger.

She ties my hair seeing how I have a limited range of motion and helps me get ready for the event. I turn around and hold her hand.

"Look, I know what you're thinking, but please... don't follow me." I look straight into her eyes. "I'm not even gonna ask you to promise me because I know you'll break it." I pleaded.

"It's dangerous." She cups my face with her hands.

"Just wait for me, I'll come back." I hold her waist, giving her a quick kiss before leaving.

" I hold her waist, giving her a quick kiss before leaving

(networking outfit)

Ester managed to get me into the guest list and altered the invitation card so that my name appeared on it. She made me a director of a financial institute. Pity the guy that got kicked out. I drove up to the Continental Hotel and parked at the designated spot. There's a valet but I don't trust them enough with my cars and keys.

I give my invitation to the event organiser (idk what to call them). I smile and compliment their dressing to distract them. I was let in and the first thing I do is to scan for possible exits and entrances. I look around and everyone is mingling with people they know. This is tough since nobody recognises me. Well, everything starts with a drink so I head to the bar and order a Moscow Mule.

With a drink in hand, I head to the nearest guy that is alone and introduce myself. "Hi, my name is Y/N Baker, are you a regular at this event?"

He turns around and takes a look at me and I give a smile in return. "That's right, my name is Frank Hart. Are you new here? I've never seen you around here before."

"I just got promoted to a director, so here I am. Do you know what usually goes on here?" I continue to lead the conversation.

"Things usually change but the main event is always the Poker Match. The winner gets to have an audience with the CEO of Chimera Corporation."

"It must be an honour to meet the face of the company, such a successful person. Do you know where I can join?" He points to a waiter not too far away from here. I thanked him and ordered him another drink as thanks.

I walk up to the waiter and tell him that I intend to participate in the Poker match. He glances up and down at me but eventually writes down my details.

Just before I left, I said. "I assure you, gender has nothing to do with Poker."

I go around interacting with people to get familiar so I don't look out of place. The CEO hasn't once stepped out from his hiding place to interact with his people.

Just then, I see Natasha interacting with another guy at the other end of the ballroom.

How did she get here? Did she slip in?

With swift steps, I walk over to her and the guy. "Sorry, can I borrow her for a moment?" And pulled her away.

"What are you doing here? How did you get in? I thought I asked you to stay behind? This is ridiculous!" I whispered all in one breath.

"Calm down. I slipped in from a window. Nobody knows I'm not supposed to be here." She smirks. God, she's just so beautiful, how can anyone push her away?

"Dear, you're gorgeous, but what if people saw you?" I panic and look around to make sure nobody is looking at us.

"Hey, I know how to sneak in okay..." She holds my face to concentrate on her.

I bring her to the bar and order her a drink. Since she's already here, there's no way she's going to allow me to ask her to sit this out. At least I have a partner with me now so I don't seem out of place. I told her my plan of participating in the Poker match and getting a chance to have an audience with the CEO of Chimera.

She doesn't seem to like my plan but this is the only way to meet whoever's behind Chimera.

Natasha has played Poker but it's safe to say it's not her strongest suit. Poker is all about probability, all about counting and predicting the cards.