33. Take care of me

Your POV
White colour, is the first thing I see when I open my eyes which is weird. It doesn't fit the aesthetic of my house.

Am I in the Avengers compound?

I know I'm not dead since I hear noises around.

I tried to get up, that's when I noticed Natasha sleeping on my hand. I should prepare for what's to come surely, she knows by now. I really wanted to let her sleep longer but I'm starting to lose feeling in my hand. I gently tapped her on her shoulders and she darted right up.

"Oh god, you're up." I nod in reply.

"Are you... okay?" She asks carefully.

"Yeah. I'm feeling fine now."

"Okay. Then let me get this straight."

Oh no... she's going to come at me.

"Is this why you were listening to heartbeat the other day? Not because it calms you down. Why didn't you tell me? All this time you've been hurting alone and you left me in the dark. I- I don't understand... Do you not trust me?"

I scoot over and lifted the covers for her to get in. "It's not that I don't trust you. I didn't know how to tell you. I finally have a constant in my life and part of me knows it is selfish to hide it from you and I should say it, but another part fears that you'll leave me."

"You know I'll never leave you. You're my one and only. I love you no matter what happens."

"I love you too."

She brings me in for a kiss but the door swings open and the doctor walks in. "Um... Sorry."

I cleared my throat as Natasha jumped out of bed. "It's alright."

"We detected this because your heart murmurs it sounds different from normal heartbeats. Your case isn't the most severe thankfully but it's not the best either. You'll have to take your medications on time and hope that it doesn't progress further. If it does, then we'll have to do surgery."

"What can we do in the meantime?" Natasha asks.

"No caffeine, eat healthily and try not to get so agitated. You'll have to come in for a check-up regularly."

"So it's not life threatening?" Natasha asks again.

"No, as long as you keep to your diet and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you should be alright."

The doctor asks if we have any further questions before leaving.

I look at Natasha lovingly without saying a word. "What? You're starting to creep me out."

"I didn't even get a say in the discussion."

"It's because I want to be the one taking care of you." I managed to give her a kiss, this time, without interruption. She went to collect my medication and settle the discharge papers before coming to collect me again.

"I can open the door by myself."

"I know, I just want to do things for you." Natasha said as she got into the driver seat.

"Well, just so you know. A normal lifestyle consists of me doing things. Not just getting served by you."

"You can dream about it."

---

>time skip to a few weeks later<

I was waiting for a day where Natasha would be in SHIELD until evening. There are times when Natasha would go on a full day mission and come back tired so I didn't want to bother her.

You:
I'll pick you up at 7pm.

Natasha:
No. I'll go over it's okay.

You:
...

Natasha:
Right. 7pm.

The time finally comes, and you drive to the Avengers compound, where she is working for the day. I fiddle with the box in your pocket. I had other plans but when I play it out in my head, it all leads to a bad ending. Not bad bad, but like I can't do things I want to do and Natasha won't allow it. I want to go to a bar but I can't drink and Natasha won't allow me to party because she thinks it's too much.

Natasha finally comes out of the building, and I get out of the car and drag her to the side.

"What are you doing?" I sat down and motioned for her to do the same.

"Over the past few days, months, you have been increasingly taking care of me which was not what was happening when we started going out. I have to admit, when I got the news that I have MVP, I did think of leaving."

"What are you talking about?" Natasha interrupts.

"Just let me finish." I continued. "Even now when I am still picking up my pieces, you are right here with me. My heart pumps for you even if it's not pumping the right way. I didn't want to do it anywhere else because I'd probably get too overwhelmed and I know the Avengers means a lot to you, but do you have the ability to take care of me forever and marry me?"

I take out the small box from my pocket and present it to her. I bought it when she left the whole day for a mission. The diamond reflects the sparkle in her eyes.

"Yes! Oh my god. Yes! I'll take care of you forever." She screams as she gives me a tight hug. I slid the ring into her fingers and sat back down with her.

"I really want to carry you and swing you around but you're probably not going to allow it huh."  She stands up and puts her arms out and I take that as a yes and go for it.

"Only this time." She whispers into my ears as she has her arms around my neck.

"This is the best day ever."

---

Ever since then, she has been with me every step of the way. Reminding me to take my pills, accompanying me to my check-up. I even manage to get a recording of her heartbeat which I listen to whenever she's away for a mission, makes it feels like she's right next to me. She has a copy of mine which she carries as well during her mission saying it's special since it sounds different.

I go over to the Avengers compound more often now, especially when she goes on a mission since she doesn't want me to be alone. It's nice though, the bed and pillow smelling like her. It's also better since this is where the quinjet lands and I'll be able to be in her embrace earlier. I will always wait for her to come back in the room and cuddle to sleep.

And start a new day.

And yay! We are finally done with this book!

And I think if you check, I didn't make Natasha say "It's okay" throughout the entire book. Seems like an accomplishment to me. There were so many times when I wanted to add that because it's just such a common phrase you know.

I wanted to add a car sequence somewhere in the story but I didn't know where to add and how to write.

I googled about MVP, so if I get anything wrong I'm sorry.
I got the idea from listening to heart beating on YouTube and from a Korean Drama I watched awhile back.