• prologue •

Gift of god.

I was meant to be a gift from god.

But they always wanted a boy.

Someone who could take over when their time inevitably comes to an end.

Someone who could pass down the family name.

Someone who could continue everything father has worked so hard to build.

Instead they got stuck with me.

Being a gift of god was an honor I was not worthy of having.

I was not worthy to take over, I was not worthy to pass down the family name, and I was not worthy to continue everything my father has worked so hard to build.

After years of trying for a son, being unable to conceive, and suffering from the loss of a miscarriage, they were just about ready to give up.

That was until a miracle came upon them, a gift some had called it.

However, eighteen years ago today marks the worst day of my fathers life as I've been told.

Eighteen years ago today was the day he found out his prized little boy, his precious Theodore, the next heir of The Abram estate was actually a little girl, one definitely not worthy of such an inheritance.

A duke unable to have a son to take his place. I was his greatest embarrassment.

Birthdays are meant to be a joyous occasion, to celebrate the day one's life began.

Instead mine just brought pain to my family. A dark cloud looming over us each and every year.

Every year my father would set up a big party in my honor to keep up appearances to others while he locked himself away in his office, unable to look at me the whole day as I was just a constant reminder of his greatest failure in life.

Nothing will be the same after today.

Today marks my final day until I'm thrown into the world, going through arranged balls, dinners, and meetings until my parents find someone they deem worthy for me to marry.

Someone who will make me worth something to my parents.

The many men I'm set to meet are of high status and wealth, strong leaders and next in line to higher titles. Everything Theodore was meant to be.

I do not object the duties my parents have set on me, I've always known what was to come since I was a little girl. It's the least I could do for the trouble I've caused after all.

But I also know that these men that I could potentially marry will never be him.

No matter how much money they wield, however much land they may own, or the title they come with, they could never compare to him.

No one ever could.