• four •

May 26th

"He just fucking left Z, not one word, not one glance nothing. And with another woman to make things better!" I huff onto my back on top of my bed.

It was now the following afternoon, the rest of the night went by fairly quickly as after the traditional dance the end of the ball followed soon after. Father forced me to talk to Xavier for the rest of the night and after the anger I felt from Harry, my temper was quite short with him.

I wasn't very pleasant to be around for the rest of the night but to be honest neither was Xavier. I was mad, so mad that I couldn't even muster up a fake smile anymore or pretend to be interested in the nonsense leaving his mouth.

I was never one to hide my emotions well, I either feel everything or nothing at all.

I didn't see Zayn either the rest of the night considering I had to be with Xavier for some reason unknown to me, so for the past hour or so I've been on the phone filling Zayn in on everything through the phone.

"He what? You two didn't talk at all?" He asks, confusion in his voice.

"Well I tried, I really did but as soon as I was about to reach him he led out the same girl he was dancing with! It's as if I wasn't even there..." My voice trails off towards the end. Last night I panicked at the thought of him being there, him being here after all those years without a word hurt but I didn't think it could get any worse than that but being in the same room as him, acting like complete strangers, was a pain I didn't think I'd ever come to know.

I used to feel a fire ignite within me whenever he was near, I'd burn in the best way possible from the warmth radiating off of him alone. This burn was different though. That warmth I once saw was now ice cold, burning in the same way as the freezing temperatures getting to you after staying out too long, an ice cold sting.

"That bas-" He starts cutting himself off with a frustrated sigh, "D I can-, shit I don't know I'll talk to him alright? The Harry I knew wouldn't do something like this."

"No. No, don't. Clearly it's in the past, maybe I just read everything we had wrong." I'm upset, angry even but what good would this do? Having him tell Zayn that I don't mean anything would probably only hurt even more.

Harry and Zayn became quite close after I introduced them to each other. They hit it off right away, instantly becoming the brothers they never had. I remember being so nervous to have them meet, with Zayns overprotective nature over me he seemed quite wary of letting some random person into my life. I can see where he was coming from, not everyone's intentions with the daughter of a duke would be the best and the way we met probably didn't help in easing his worries. However after they first met we were both convinced his intentions were pure.

Turns out we were both wrong in the end.

It's still something that I think about to this day, now more than ever after last night. What were his intentions? Did he just want to see how close he could get to me? See if he could make someone like me fall for him? I can't help but think it was all just some sort of game to him.

"Are you sure? I can do it, hell I can knock some sense into him too while I'm there." Zayns voice breaks me from my inner spiral I was heading down.

A chuckle escapes my lips at the thought of it and as much as I might actually like that I doubt it would really help anything. "Yes Zayn, I'm sure." A silence falls over us as I contemplate whether or not I actually want to say my next words, ultimately deciding to say them anyways as I close my eyes. "There is one thing you can do though."

"What's that?"

"Can you just... Can you go see if he's still there?"

He stays silent for a moment, thinking over my request "What do you mean?"