Waiting...waiting

"Madame Vice President," Danielle her top aid and close friend starts, "the President has been taken to a secure location but wants to make sure you know that he and the First Lady are praying for the Second Gentleman, his staff will help your staff to clear off your schedule, he doesn't want you to worry about anything but taking care of Doug, that was his direct command".

"Thanks Dani, I assume that the press is all over this? What about the kids, can you get each of them on the phone for me now?"

"Yes, their security detail have taken them to secure locations and explained what we know so far so that they didn't have to hear it from the press, but I will get them on the phone for you now. Anything else Madame Vice President?"

"Yes, while you get them on the phone, tell Frank that I need to talk to him right away," Kamala responds. Frank is her top Secret Service member and she intends to get at least some answers on what the hell happened.

Frank enters the room moments later, "Madame Vice President, I am so sorry for this, we are doing everything we can to find out what happened and ensure that no one else is at risk."

"Frank, what do we know? What happened to the shooter? How did someone get in there with a gun?" Kamala has a number of questions.

"The shooter was taken out before he was able to fire another shot. We are working with other agencies now to determine more about the assailant and his motives. We don't know everything at this point, all regular security protocols were followed, and we are investigating what happened. Our top priority was getting everyone out safely and getting the President to a secure location. I can say that no one else was injured and that all of your families have also been secured."

"Thank you Frank, I am very relieved to know that there were no other injuries, I want to get regular updates, please I want to understand who was after me and to make sure that my family is safe."

Frank nods and leaves just as Danielle returns with a phone in hand. She passes it to Kamala telling her that Cole and Ella are both on the line.

"Hey guys, I am so sorry," Kamala says, trying to fight back tears. "Your father is in surgery, they think that the bullet missed his spinal cord but they need to get the bullet out to fully assess the damage, I am so sorry."

"Momala, this isn't your fault, are you doing ok?" Cole says with a calming voice reminiscent of her Dougie.

"Momala, should we come down there?" Ella says, the kids seem to be far more calm then how she is feeling.

"Kids, that is up to you. I know that your dad and I would rather you stay in your secure locations for now until we have a better idea of the threat, but I know that you father is in surgery so I won't deny either of you if you feel like you need to be with him."

"Ella, I think that Momala is right, let's wait a bit before we head to Washington, but Momala if anything changes or something happens..."

"I am praying that your wonderful, stupid protective father is going to make a full recovery but as soon as I know anything at all, I will call you guys immediately. Again, I am so sorry kids, it should be me in there not him and I am just so sorry for that." Kamala swallows back tears, she is trying to keep it together but feels so guilty that their father is injured because of her.

"Momala, don't, this is not your fault and we would be just as worried if it were you in there. We love you and we are all going to get through this as a family," Ella responds.

"Thanks guys, I love you both so much. I will make sure that the staff ensures that you guys can reach me at any time if you want an update or just want to talk." Kamala again has tears rolling down her face.

"Hang in there Momala, we will get there as soon as we can safely be there," Cole assures her.

The call ends and Kamala proceeds to quickly wipe her tears and brings the phone over to Danielle. She briefly tells Danielle to make sure that she is informed immediately if the kids want to reach her. She sits back down and just takes a moment. Someone comes by to offer her coffee, but her stomach is in knots and she can't even think about food or coffee. She looks down to kind of take everything in when she realizes that she is still in the suit she was wearing, her light blue suit that is covered in blood stains. She panics momentarily realizing that it's Doug's blood, the love of her life, her support, her anchor and her mind starts spiralling again. She yells to the nearest staff member in the room and asks if she can get something to change into, anything that isn't covered in Doug's blood. The staffer nods and immediately rushes out of the room in search of something for her to wear.

Someone returns quickly with hospital scrubs. The staffer explains that they have someone gathering clothes for her, but in the meantime she can wear the hospital scrubs. She nods, takes the garments and looks around the room. She spots the private restroom attached to the waiting area and proceeds to get to the restroom quickly, realizing that she is a few seconds from a complete meltdown. She knows that logically most people would understand if she were to have a meltdown considering her current circumstances, but she doesn't always get the luxury of common understanding in her position. Kamala tries at all times to remain controlled, but right now she is covered in her husband's blood and she doesn't care about what others are thinking of her or how they will perceive her current state. She closes the door behind her and sinks down to the floor. She lets her emotions take over and sobs uncontrollably. Alone in the restroom, she doesn't know exactly how long she stays like that but she just needs to take a moment to herself and breaks down. Once she feels like she has no more tears to cry, she starts by washing her hands and face. Seeing herself in the mirror, she has mascara running down her face and tear marks. She washes off but doesn't really care about her current appearance. Kamala puts her hair in a quick ponytail just to get it out of her face and throws her clothes right in the trash.

Returning to the waiting room, she sits quietly and waits for news. Maya calls to offer her support, Kamala briefly talks to her for a few minutes but she is just anxious for news on Doug. She knows that she is being irrational, but the minutes feel like hours and she is not good at feeling helpless.