At Last

Doug is starting to stir but Kamala wants to let him wake up slowly not knowing if he will be in any pain. She continues to hold his hand but is standing and reaches with her other hand to lightly brush his cheek. She smiles as she watches him slowly wake up, she rarely gets to watch him wake up, he is usually an early riser and is often awake well before her alarm goes off.

Finally his eyes start to open. Kamala smiles brightly, "hey honey, glad to see you're waking up. How do you feel?"

Doug is a bit slow to respond, "a little sore in my back "

"Do you remember what happened? Do you know where you are?"

Doug looks around a bit before responding, "hospital I guess, I remember you were talking and someone was pointing something at you, I couldn't make out exactly what it was, but it scared me so I went to get you away from there."

"You were shot in the back honey, trying to protect me, that bullet was meant for me. I am so sorry, I wish it were me laying in that bed."

"Babe, I will always protect you, you know that. I love you."

"God, I love you so much Dougie, I thought for a bit that I might lose you, don't ever do that again." Kamala bends down and kisses his lips, she kisses him a few times feeling so relieved.

"Honey, I am not going anywhere. Do they know who did this, was anyone else hurt?"

"No, no one else was hurt, they took the shooter down before he was able to fire another shot. They are trying to figure out who and why but Joe, the kids, and the rest of our family were all taken to secure locations. That's why the kids aren't here, I wanted to make sure that there are no further threats before flying them out here."

"That's good, honey."

"You got shot in the back but luckily it missed your spinal cord. You have a bruised lung and a broken rib but they did surgery to repair the damage and get the bullet out. The doctor said that unless there are any complications, you should make a full recovery. And I am so happy that you are awake. The waiting was killing me."

Doug stirs a bit, just trying to change positions slightly.

"How is the pain? Maybe I should get a doctor or the nurse?"

"No, it's not bad, just feels sore. Is there any water though?" Doug asks, his mouth feeling really dry.

"Of course honey, I will grab you some." Kamala walks over to the table by the window where there are a few bottles of water out.

Doug notices that his wife is wearing scrubs, he smiles, "nurse Kamala, that's hot."

Kamala whips her head around to face him with a smile, only her Dougie would find her current appearance hot. She lets out a small laugh that suddenly turns to tears. The mere thought that he is the only one that could possibly make her laugh in this situation and then the daunting realization that she could have lost him was too much for her all of a sudden.

"Hey honey, are you ok? I didn't mean to make you cry."

Kamala walks back with the water and tears running down her face, "Dougie, you are just the nicest, sweetest, most adorable guy...what would I ever do without you."

"Hey Kamala, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere." He lifts his hand to wipe away his wife's tears. "I'm ok honey," Doug repeats.

Kamala just nods, she really wants to keep it together. She grabs the hand that he was using to wipe her tears and brings it to her lips, gently kissing his hand.

They linger for a bit and Kamala says, "I think that I should go grab a nurse, they wanted to check you when you woke up. I will also get a phone, we should call the kids at least to let them know that you're awake."

"Ok, I'll be here, not going anywhere," Doug says with a small smile trying to reassure his wife.

Kamala kisses him quickly and then steps out if the room.