Trust no One

Frank, Kamala's head of security lead Kamala quietly into a private room near Doug's hospital room.

"I hate to disturb you, but I just got some information from the investigation of the shooting and I needed to let you know."

"Go on Frank, do you know if the shooter had help, are there more threats?" Kamala responded anxious for any new developments.

"Madame Vice President, the part about this whole incident that has bothered me the most was that I can't understand how he got a gun into the secured room. I have kept my suspicions to myself and let the investigations team do their job. Just now, the officers investigating the incident have confirmed my fears. They have determined that the shooter had to have had help, inside help."

"So you are telling me that someone inside my team is involved?" Kamala said in disbelief.

"No, Madame Vice President, for the individual to have gotten through our security protocols, the help had to have come from a member of the security team," Frank said with shame, it was hard to believe that there was a traitor among his team.

"So one of the individuals who are paid to protect me is involved in trying to kill me?"

"I am afraid so. I am so sorry Madame Vice President, it is my team and I am willing to take full responsibility and resign just as soon as we find the traitor and eliminate this threat."

"Frank, I don't blame you for this. Do you have any idea who it might be or even a gut instinct?" Kamala was trying to keep her composure but there was a lot going through her mind. Was there more than one individual? How close were they to her and her family? Why would a secret service person do such a thing?

"I have been thinking this over in my head since I suspected an inside job and I can't figure out who. I have looked at recent replacements, temporary staff members, staff records, vetting records, and even bank and credit records to see if anyone recently had a influx of money. The investigators also reviewed security camera footage, and access code usage throughout the building. They have determined that the weapon must have entered the premises weeks or even months ago and hidden in order to have gotten through."

Kamala took a deep breath, "what are the next steps? How do we find out who it is before they try something again?"

"Madame Vice President, the investigators and I are working on different strategies to find this scum, but I had to let you know so that we have the best chance of keeping you safe. However, I need to make sure that you do not speak of this to anyone on your staff or on the security team. We cannot let this person know that we are changing protocols and adding security measures."

"I want to tell my husband, he is in as much danger as I am and deserves to understand the risks."

"I understand and given the circumstances, he deserves to know. The President has also been made directly aware along with the head of his security team. He will inform only his top trusted officers. From now on, since it appears that you are the direct target, there will always be one of my top trusted men with you, I can vouge for these men and they will be on around the clock rotation. In addition, you will have no face to face contact with the president until this threat can be secured. And as an added measure, you will need to wear this," Frank takes something out of his pocket and shows Kamala a gold chain with a gold bracket mounted in the centre that holds a single pearl. "This bracelet has a tracking device that only I or the head of the President's security team can check. In addition, if you press down on the pearl, myself and Tom, the head of the President's security team, are immediately alerted so that we can deploy assistance."

Kamala is grateful for the added measures, but they do nothing to calm her fears. "What about Doug and my family, are they in danger?"

"We are also looking at what can be done to ensure their safety, but the investigators agree that all threats seem to be directed toward you alone."

Frank goes on the explain other additional safety precautions including no large audience in person speeches or outings, the fact that her residence and office will have daily checks from his trusted top officers, and that she should limit visits with family members and friends as much as possible for the moment.

After explaining and allowing Frank to put her new bracelet on, Frank apologizes once again. Kamala thanks him for his efforts, and he excuses himself. Alone in the room, Kamala leans against the wall in despair, struggling with how to manage her fear in silence. She thinks about the new security measures and how she can effectively do her job under these conditions. More importantly, she worries about her family, she could live with not seeing her family and friends in person for their safety, but she can't fathom being apart from Doug, not now, not ever. The guilt once again set in, was this all really worth it?