Aftermath

They stood clinging to one another for quite some time.  The staff members and secret service made signal to Doug and thankfully gave them some privacy.

"Honey, is there anything you need?  Were you hurt at all?"

"They didn't hurt me, they were going to hand me over to some crazies, but thankfully Frank and his team found me first.  I probably need to eat but I don't think I could stomach anything right now.  Maybe a shower or bath might help."

"Anything you want or need honey, I am just so grateful that you made it out safely.  I can draw you a bath and give you some privacy if you want?" Doug was trying to remember what they said about letting her be in control.

"Doug, could you," Kamala hesitates, she is not used to being dependent but after spending hours handcuffed in the darkness of the bag on her head, she can't bare the idea of being alone.  "Could you stay with me, I don't want to be alone right now."

"Of course honey, after all of this, I don't want you out of my sight or touch, but they told me that it would be best if I try and let you be in control.  I would love to stay with you and when you are done your bath we can lay down and I can just hold you.  This whole time waiting, all I wanted to do is just have you back in my arms."

"Good, it's the only place that I feel safe right now."

Doug was worried, he was extremely grateful that his wife wasn't distant and unresponsive like they said she might be, but she definitely still wasn't herself.  Although he was more than happy to comfort her, he knew that the road to recovery would be difficult.

Doug escorted her to their bedroom with one arm firmly around her shoulder in a protective manner.  She walked with her head not leaving his shoulder.  He then took her to their ensuite bathroom and started the water in the bathtub.  He put some of her favorite bath oils in the water and let the warm water fill the tub.

Kamala stood watching, she didn't really move, she just stood there wondering how she managed to get through all of this.  Doug looked back at her, he thought she would be getting ready for her bath, but she stood there watching the water fill the tub.  He was struggling, he would do absolutely anything for her, he just didn't know what the right thing was. 

"Do you want me to help you get ready for the bath?  I want to help you any way that I can, you just need to tell me what you want."

He shook her head and started to undress, "could you join me in the bath?"

"Yes of course."

Doug quickly got himself undressed and dimmed the lights just to make the room as relaxing as possible.  He grabbed their robes and out them and some towels on the edge of the bath.  Kamala had slowly undressed and was ready to wash all of the day's events away.

"How about I get in first and you can sit in front and lean your back on me and relax?". Doug wanting to make sure that he did everything right for her.

She nodded in agreement and he got settled in the tub.  Kamala followed, sitting down in the warm water smelling of peonies from the bath oil.  She rested her head on Doug's chest and just tried to remind herself that she was ok, they were ok and that she could relax.  Doug wrapped his arms around his wife from behind.  He too just tried to let himself relax, he finally felt like he could breathe again. 

They sat there not really saying much, just being there together.  

"Do you want to talk about what happened?  We don't have to, I just don't know how to make this better for you honey."

"Not tonight, I think I will need to talk about it, but not tonight."

The water was getting cooler so Kamala did some washing up and decided that she had had enough of the bath.  "How about we just head to bed?  Maybe you can hold me and we can watch something?"

Doug nodes and followed his wife out of the bath.  They dried off with the towels and Doug held out the robe for Kamala. 

They lay down together and Kamala realizes how helpful and sweet Doug has been, then she realizes that he is always helpful and sweet.  "You know Dougie, I really don't deserve you, you are just the sweetest guy.  But then again no one else deserves you either, so I might as well keep you to myself.".

Doug smiles and holds her a little tighter.  It was a glimpse of her returning to normal.  "Get some rest honey, I will hold and protect you.  I love you."