Chapter 12: New Perspectives

The task Phantom had taken up was much harder to complete now when he thought about this twice. He had the thermos that held one of the most powerful beings around, to release Amaimon was to play a Russian roulette, where at best case scenario nothing would happen. The Ghost King made sure that the coast was clear, and the roof of the dorm was void of any living beings. Shura had gone with Mephisto, presumably to settle the issues of the latter with Vatican. Thus, the concerns lied elsewhere at the moment, much closer in fact. After taking a sip out of a can filled with some strange Japanese concoction, Danny looked at the thermos, looking sour about the need to do this.

"Alright, pal, I'm letting you out. One condition, however. I am inclined to talk every issue out, so we will talk. If you try to attack, I won't hesitate to put you back."

Phantom had some hopes that the Demon King was willing to talk. They were always smarter than their kin. They were capable of reason. It was with this expectation that Danny tossed away the can and opened the lid of the device. With a bright flash the contents were emptied, the Demon King was launched forward, landing on his feet and sliding several meters forward. Amaimon was barely keeping the human appearance together, fuming, ready to burst, but holding back for now. He had already got burned.

"I have nothing to talk with you about, imposter."

"I don't pretend to be a Demon King. I am one. I guess you aren't in the mood for games anymore, so I'll cut to the chase. I don't need any conflicts with you nor your family."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"You attacked me. I warned ya that your ass is gonna get handed to you, but did you listen?"

"You won with cheap tricks."

"All is fair if you want to win," Danny sat on a chair created out of energy and crossed his legs. "And if cheap tricks do that, you just do the same, is all. I am not above using human tools. None of my or another kin expect a turn of events like this. I once again extend my hand of peace."

Amaimon snorted and made a small laugh, "You obviously are a newbie around here. You aren't a brother of mine, I have nothing to discuss with you."

"Yeah-yeah. You've been around for centuries, I am not legally allowed to drink. I'm not going to pretend that I know more than you. I'll stay naive and hope that there is no bad blood between us."

"You stuffed me in a soup can!"

"Suck it up. I let you out, didn't I? Furthermore, would you rather talk with the Vatican detachment? Not much of an obstacle, but a nuisance nonetheless. And you are not getting the scolding you would otherwise receive from Mephisto. And I am using the word liberally. I saved you the troubles at the cost of dignity. Not that I'll go around telling everyone about your misfortune."

Amaimon was quiet for a moment, nibbling on his long nail thoughtfully.

"You will get in trouble if you make it a public knowledge. This is not a favour. If you are more powerful, why do you bother?"

"It's just who I am," Danny shrugged, "I just know that we have nothing to be warring over, aside from this petty hit to your pride."

"You killed my brother."

"I don't see you crying over it."

"Fair enough. Everything that happens is your problem. Mephisto asked me to come and test Okumura. We have to make a proper vessel, and if you stand in the way you will have problems not only with me."