Chapter 13: My Sister's Keeper

"I don't think you got the right person."

The redhead saying this was looking at her generous host. She was fairly young, barely an adult, from the seems. Jazz was dressed in her usual black v-shirt and aqua pants. Her long hair was a mess — a sign of having been woken up early. Her teal eyes didn't look away from the old man as she drank from a cup of tea. This staring contest wasn't entirely one-sided. The old man at the opposite side of the table was not intimidating in the slightest, yet commanded authority. A white mask over the higher part of his face was made to cover the red burns all over his skin. Some parts could not be hidden, leaving Jazz to wonder what exactly was their cause. Wearing white and red robes, he had given away his occupation the second he appeared before the young woman. Jazz knew that this hour would come eventually, yet she had expected the mediator to look different. Perhaps it was just her impression of exorcists that hadn't been full, with her parents simply being deviants in the order.

"On the contrary, Jasmine. I've been told that you are quite bright. You study at one of the most prestigious universities of the world and have come to this meeting on your own accord. You obviously can see reason."

"And I also can see that you won't get off my back that easily. I don't like having my phone taken away."

"This is just a protocol procedure. Please, don't take offence. You will be out of the cathedral the second we finish our conversation. I assure you."

Jazz sighed.

"Still, me being "smart" won't help you. I am not an exorcist, I can't do anything of use to you."

"I am aware about your lack of training. Still, we need some information we hope you can provide."

"Yeah, you told me already. Why are you curious about what the "heretics" made? It was destroyed, you know."

"Times have changed, my child. The child of Satan roams the Earth, Gehenna cannot make up its mind about the death of Azazel and the ghosts are running out of control. We need everything a human mind can come up with in order to fight off the threat."

"And I'm telling you, Mr. Egin. I never was interested in their work. It only brought problems for our family. They barely had time for me and my brother, their inventions demanded the finances they endlessly loaned...I never wanted this to be my future."

"Hmm," Egin looked disappointed, but sympathetic, "That is truly regrettable. Everything you've said, Jasmine. Speaking of, where is your brother?"

"Pardon?"

"He IS your ward."

Jazz internally snorted. Neither of the siblings was a child in spirit. If the sister was mature and responsible, then Danny had gone through so much that he was forced to at least examine his surroundings well and thus be able to sustain himself. Ironically, he was the money earner in the family, and she was as much his guardian as he was hers. Plus, he could come to her any second if he knew where to go.

"He...doesn't live with me. Danny is doing his own thing."

"This doesn't seem very responsible of you."

"He is as capable as any adult, believe me."

"Still, the law is the law, and albeit we don't have the authority to solve this matter, I strongly advise that you change this lifestyle. I am also wondering how you manage to study at such establishment, live rather comfortably and pay your parents' debts atop of that. Since you don't work, I could only assume that it is your brother that makes a living."