Chapter 4: Samaritan and half-dead

A.N. Don't forget to comment, guys.

The sound of steady steps on the stone pathway to the dorm. Yukio was just returning there, with a small box in his hands. He had taken everything the exorcist shop had for destroying the ghostly ilk. There wasn't much, and it was truly a pity. Fire worked on most ghosts better than anything, so Yukio had gotten some combustive bullets. There were also a basket of winter cherries, the things were supposed to trap the ghosts. Somehow. The main weapon was still on the way, as it was near impossible to find. Blood Blossoms were all but gone, as the plant was so picky about environment that it could not be grown artificially. Yukio spent a lot of his teacher salary on this.

Upon entering the house, the teen decided to postpone the dinner, so temptingly luring him into the kitchen with abnormally good smell. He would have to hide the box somewhere. Entering the room he shared with his brother and saying hellos, only then did Yukio noticed the absence of said brother. Odd, he hadn't heard anything coming from the kitchen, so where was he. Then a shout was heard from the room nearby, and Yukio ran there with a neck breaking speed. Swinging open the door, he got a sight on the scene he had feared.

The two half-demons were playing game console together. It was the shout of a defeated child of Satan that had called Yukio in the first place. Danny sat nearby, looking totally opposite of what the fourth most powerful being around would look like. Then again, Mephisto was Mephisto, but Phantom was wearing nothing but a shirt and pyjama pants with starships pictured on them. So casual-looking, with a triumphant look in his gleaming eyes. But it wasn't Phantom that caught the primary attention of the exorcist. It was Rin's furry tail swinging all around out in the open.

Without saying a word of greeting in return, Yukio pulled his brother away in one swift motion.

"Oh, oh, oh! What the hell, Yukio!" Rin shouted.

"Why, pray tell, you have your tail all over the place?!" Yukio hissed, "In front of HIM, no less!"

"Chill out, Mole face! He is a half-demon, too!" Rin said enthusiastically, "Besides, he is our neighbour now, why not be friendly?"

"He is... our neighbour?"

Mephisto was just put down in another person's murder list. That dastardly crafty demon hadn't told him any of this! Yukio took a calming sigh, regaining his composure. A glare he sent Danny's way was met with a simple wave of the hand. Yukio then pulled his brother out of the room, closing the door in the process. The teacher was about to speak, but Phantom's voice from the room stopped him.

"You Japanese make very thin walls and doors. I will be able to hear you still!" He called, not seemingly caring about the distrust.

Yukio and Rin went downstairs, the latter complaining all the while. Honestly, what was wrong with him?

"Have you shown him the flames?" Yukio asked harshly and immediately, "Answer!"

"Jeez, that's what you are worried about? I may get F in every subject known to man, but I am not stupid. Why are you so paranoid? Danny is a cool dude. And he's beaten me in "Doomed" ten times in a row," a certain level of bitterness was present in his voice.

"Don't you think that even a half-demon may try to pull you to Gehenna, to bring you to Satan and earn his favour?"

"Now you are overdramatising. Seriously, Yukio, chill. He would have done it already if he could or wanted, right? We've been alone this entire evening. And so far we've been doing nothing but playing games."

Rin did have a point, Yukio reasoned. But there existed such plans that required a bigger amount of time to accomplish. To stay under the radar of every living or dead being in both worlds it took a lot of resourcefulness. Then a single thing snapped him back to reality.