Chapter 2: INN

Audio titled: ONCE UPON A DECEMBER

Chapter
2

Inn
(Eden's Bed & Breakfast)

***

"The interview guides are not as ready as we wanted," Jong Woo said as they slowly drove up a cobbled road towards their destination

"The interview guides are not as ready as we wanted," Jong Woo said as they slowly drove up a cobbled road towards their destination. "But I made an effort."

"Well, you're the one who'll have to do the talking anyway, so thank yourself when you start panicking after you realize you have nothing to help you," Jong Hwa replied, squinting at the maze of dark buildings ahead of them. "This place already feels creepy. Our promo pictures will be great."

Eden's Bed & Breakfast was a large two-story building with small windows and heavy doors.

Its entrance hall—that appeared to serve as a pub as well—had perhaps once been cozy and homely, but now was a mismatch of worn furniture and glimpses of past glory, kept alive by the raucous drunks inside.

"Well, let's first check in and only then take our equipment with us," Jung Hwa decided while they waited for the man behind the counter to fetch them their keys. "Maybe the rooms will be better."

Unexpectedly, the rooms were better.

Jung Hwa made sure to say so, aiming for an upbeat tone.

"That might be more thanks to the lack of use rather than any maintenance effort from the owner's part," Hyun Ho muttered after carrying the last of their equipment into the room he shared with Jung Hwa. "The place is fucking creepy, though. Good luck sleeping on your own, Jong Woo."

"I'll be fine," Jong Woo replied. "I'll see you guys in the morning. Eight, right? See you downstairs for breakfast?"

"Let's do that," Jung Hwa agreed, before Jong Woo left their room and went into his own.

Shutting the door with a swift kick left him alone in a small, incredibly quiet space that felt almost unreal.

The room itself was clean, but the bedding looked like it was made of the same fabric as the curtains, and the cold stone floor had two small rugs on it, hardly covering anything at all.

"It could be worse," Jong Woo told himself, walking further into the room and lifting his suitcase onto the coffee table.

He then opened it to look for a t-shirt and a pair of boxers to change into after showering.

Jong Woo was tired, and the thought of spending a long time in this place didn't sound appealing—perhaps they could speed it up, somehow?