Chapter 5: LIBRARY

Audio titled: DANSE MACABRE

Chapter
5

Library
(What Little is Known)

***

The Haunted House didn't lose its sinister atmosphere in daylight

Not that Jong Woo really believed in such things, but... there was just something that rubbed off him in the wrong way from the moment he pushed the front door open.

"Wow, they weren't kidding about the mirrors," Hyun Ho said, stepping into the hallway. "Mirrors and portraits. Great taste. Why didn't Cha Sung Ryeol change this shit when he moved it?"

"Probably didn't have the time," Jung Hwa said, walking further into the house. Jong Woo followed her, his footsteps causing the wooden floor to creak loudly.

The first floor of the three-story house was full of narrow hallways with only a few windows allowing light sparingly in.

The kitchen was large, and a doorway with stained windows and a broken door handle allowed them to peek into the messy backyard.

There was a living room not far from the kitchen, and a dining room a bit further away.

A bathroom—small and narrow with pink floral wallpaper and yellow, flickering lightbulbs—could be accessed through a room that had likely been a library of some sort.

All it now had was a pile of torn books and a tilted bookshelf, with old and torn couches forming a loose semi-circle around a blocked fireplace.

"Yikes," Hyun Ho commented, looking at the ceiling. "It looks so bad."

"It's ridiculously cold, too," Jung Hwa said, making sure to capture the rooms with her camera. "Let's go upstairs? It can't be worse than this."

It was.

The narrow and dark hallway opened to eight small rooms, each one with a bed and a small window.

No bathrooms of any kind were on the second floor, which Jong Woo found baffling. "This does not look like a set-up for a normal house," he said. "Who the hell has ten small bedrooms? Look at them! And imagine if you have to pee at night? You'd need to go to that tiny little thing downstairs!"

"Why on earth did Sung Ryeol even want to own this place?" Hyun Ho asked. "I mean, come on. Unless you want to tear the whole shit down and rebuild it, there's no way you could actually enjoy living here."

"I don't disagree," Jong Woo said. "All right, that's it for this floor. Next?"

The third floor was only marginally better than the two beneath it.