Chapter 6: HISTORY

Audio titled: PROLOGUE VER.2

Chapter
6

History
(Haunted House Family)

***

Turned out that Jung Hwa's curiosity about the history of the Haunted House and the family rendered most of Jong Woo's questions redundant and useless

He didn't mind, however, when he saw how engaged the librarian was, showing Jung Hwa a variety of photographs and other documentation.

"People forget that while what happened to Seo Tae Hoo is terrible," Han Go Eun said, "what he did wasn't nice either. He was known as a cruel man, and people knew that his wife—who was much, much younger than him—was completely under his rule. His grandparents were also known as arrogant people who used their wealth to keep everyone in Little Town under their thumb. It wasn't a liked family, by all means."

"And the son?"

"The son... well... the son's story begins with his mother, Lee Sun Jo. Sun Jo was so very poor and, well, not disliked but she just wasn't someone anyone cared about. She didn't mingle with people, wasn't talkative or charming, wasn't pretty, either... When she fell pregnant and claimed it was Seo Tae Hoo's, no one believed her at first. Why would someone as handsome and Tae Hoo bed her when there were so many other options, you know? That's what the townspeople thought. It wasn't until a mailman admitted to having seen them together than people started believing. Tae Hoo denied it, of course, and Sun Jo was cast out."

"She died in childbirth, didn't she?" Jong Woo asked. "What happened to the baby after that? Was he raised by her family?"

"Oh no, no," Go Eun replied, shaking her head. She smiled, but there was little joy to be found there. "The Lee were just awful. They disowned Sun Jo the moment she brought dishonor upon them, and thus her baby was also considered, well... not one of them. As far as evidence shows, Sun Jo actually went to Seoul. So Seo Moon Jo was born in Seoul, and presumably was raised in an orphanage."

"What happened to him after he killed his... relatives?" Jong Woo asked, hesitant to use the word family. "Was he arrested? How did people know if it was him if they didn't?"

"There are conflicting records on that, actually," Go Eun replied. "Some claim that he was arrested immediately after the deed, but I haven't been able to find any proof of that. Others claim to have seen him wandering about, covered in blood, but that's hardly likely as well. What we suspect happened instead was—and this is based on some very spotty court records—that he was apprehended and charged, but there was a mistrial and so he had to be allowed to roam free. After that he just... disappeared."

'Why does that sound familiar?' Jong Woo thought, frowning.

It was Jung Hwa, however, who helped fill that gap by asking: