Chapter 4: OWNER

Audio titled: WISTFUL MEMORY

Chapter
4

Owner
(It's Joseung Saja)

***

"Thank you for coming, uh, Enchantress," Jong Woo said, reaching to shake the hand of the medium

"Thank you for coming, uh, Enchantress," Jong Woo said, reaching to shake the hand of the medium. "Interesting name, that."

"Names have power," the medium replied, her painted nails clacking against the surface of the table. "The fewer beings know your real name, the fewer chances they get to involve you in their lives."

'Honestly, I respect that,' Jong Woo thought, keeping his face serious as he nodded. "We're in town to investigate the Haunted House. The more we learn about it, however, the more mysterious it gets, strangely enough. We were hoping that you could share some of your experiences and insights of the place before we go in there."

"It's a stupid decision," Enchantress said, her clear eyes unnervingly unblinking as she looked at Jong Woo. "People go in there thinking it's all tall tales, but then flee the place with regrets and fears they never thought they'd get. I feel obliged to warn you of that."

"Thank you," Jong Woo said, hoping to sound polite and not annoyed.

People got so serious about their perceived supernatural encounters. "You believe there's something in there, then?"

"There is," Enchantress confirmed. "Everyone knows it. There's an evil entity that cannot be purged because it doesn't want to leave. People have tried. I'm just a medium—all I can do is look at what's there and see things other people don't. I can't do things even exorcists failed at."

"What do you think this entity wants?" Jong Woo asked, hoping to get something less vague than what he was hearing now. "A demon?"

"No, I don't think it's a demonic entity," Enchantress replied. "People forget that humans have a great capacity for evil. I don't think it's a demon at all. I think it's a spirit. An angry, dark, evil spirit that keeps everyone else trapped and tormented in there with him."

"Him," Jong Woo repeated. "Do you also think it's the son? Seo Moon Jo?"

The medium didn't reply, merely raised her eyebrows.

Not to be discouraged, Jong Woo changed his question: "What do you know of Joseung Saja?"

At this her eyes widened in a first sign of surprise that they had managed to elicit so far. "People don't like that name around here," she said, her voice low and breathy all of a sudden. "That cruel man. A man so evil even the devil didn't collect him after he died."