Chapter 29

A/N: I thought about hurting myself today. I wrote this instead. Everyday you go without, you are victorious. Setbacks are inevitable, doesn't make you a failure. Just makes you human. As long as you're trying your best, I'm proud of you. There are so many small things we take for granted every day. There are a thousand small reasons to keep on living, and just like the bad things they all add up to one irrefutable reason. There are things to love about life, you just have to start looking for them. For example I make it a point to try and look at the sunrise or the sunset everyday because they make me smile. Nature is astounding. Someone loves you, I love you, your dog loves you (If you don't have a dog then my dog loves you I promise he's super friendly), someone out there loves you even if you don't think so. If you don't want to get better for yourself, then do it for all the lovely things about life you have yet to find. Just breathe, it'll be okay <3

That can't be possible.

"Hm... I guess it makes sense since no one's heard from or seen the wind spirit for as long as I can remember," North said as if it were fact and not a complete lie.

That's not possible. In fact I hear from the wind spirit quite often, and she has never indicated that she needed help before... Then again, how would she?

The guardians kept chatting amongst themselves, trying to get to the bottom of what seemed like a bottomless mystery, while I sat there with my jaw on the floor. Eventually, Pitch noticed that I was staring into space with a confused look in my eyes.

"What is it Jack? Do you know something about this?" Pitch questioned, rapid fire.

"N-no- I- well, I don't know. I'm confused," I paused for a moment to gather my thoughts into more coherent sentences. "I.. think it's me." When in response all I got were wide eyes, I took that as my que to explain. "I have always felt the wind spirit's presence, from the moment I woke up as a guardian. I didn't know no one else had seen her, a-and she never told me she was in trouble."

"You can talk to her?" Asked North.

"W-well, not exactly. Its more like I can ask yes or no questions-"

"How come you never told us about this before?" Asked Bunny with an unusual amount of attitude directed at me.

Maybe he's still salty about the prank I pulled on him.

"L-like I said before, I didn't kn-"

"Oh right you didn't know. You expect us to believe that? Since when was it normal for a spirit to not have a physical presence, are you just too stupid to figure out something was wrong?" Spat out Tooth.

"What?" I asked dumbfounded. I was too confused to let the sting of their venom really sink in just yet. "Why are you guys getting so mad? I don't understand."

Even Sandy was making angry gestures at me. Was this really all my fault? How could I have known though? Maybe someone more fit for the chosen role would have figured it out.

"How would you not understand? We're angry because your incompetence could end the whole world." Sneered Pitch.

With all my insecurities and weaknesses being thrown in my face by the people I love most in the world, it only took one final blow to break my heart to bits.

"You aren't even good enough to save the spirit who has been counting on you for hundreds of years. You should never have been chosen to be a guardian, Manny made a mistake." North said with a stone cold expression. His eyes no longer full of wonder, instead they only held distain for me and my failures as a guardian. And with that look, the last of me broke apart and fizzled away like one of my ice memories. Outwardly, I didn't even have the energy to emote, it was all I could do to walk myself out of the room, out of Norths palace, and into the depths of my own despair. But inside, I was a writhing mess of chaotic thoughts and a horrible, horrible pain in my chest. Burning, I was burning from the inside out, starting at my lungs, to my heart, my head, my limbs, until the burning feeling was all that I was made of. No skin, no bones, no center of fun. And then there was that damned voice. My steps were in no particular direction. Just away. I kept walking because if I stopped, I might never start again.