Chapter 36

When I came to, there were at least ten faces surrounding me. They were fuzzy and swaying. They slowly morphed together to form only two. Kate and North.

"Heyyy guys, why floor I? Haha I mean, what?" I was the one saying it and even I knew it didn't make any sense.

"He's finally lost it," I heard bunny say from behind me.

"Noo I haven't you mean kangaroo, that's not nice ya know," I was slurring my words and nothing made much sense.

"Oh dear," North said as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Jack, if you can understand me, can you tell me what you saw in my mom's memories?" Kate asked, desperate to get right to business.

"She's the nice little wind fairy. She go flap flap." What the hell was wrong with me?

"No seriously, what the hell is wrong with you mate?" Bunny voiced my thoughts.

I gasped, "the kangaroo can read minds!"

"He seems to be experiencing symptoms of an overload of differing magic. I'm willing to bet that was no ordinary ice memory," Pitch said with his nose in a book.

"What's differing magic?" Tooth asked.

"Well, it must have taken an awful lot of magic over time for this power to reach Jack. I'm guessing from the state he's in, someone put nearly an equal amount of magic into blocking the memory. Everyone has a maximum amount of magic they can handle at one time. The limit is even lower if there is more than one being's magic attempting to accomplish an opposite task on the same item. If he had taken any more, I fear he would have died."

"Maybe that's what the Spirit Eater was hoping for," Kate suggested seriously.

"You're so prettyyyy," I mumbled to Kate as I rolled over onto my side.

Kate smiled and bent down to soothingly brush my hair out of my face.

"Soo basically Jack's drunk on magic?" Bunny asked with a hint of annoyance.

"Essentially, yes," Pitch replied.

Everyone in the room turned to look at me. They must want me to do something funny, I thought, very rationally might I add. I made a stupid face for them. I must be hilarious.

"Uhhh, how long is he gonna be like this?" Bunny asked.

"Oh uh, look at the time I've got books to attend to." After Pitch made up an excuse to go, he tried not to run as he was leaving the hall.

Bunny, being the first to catch on to the very 'nose goes' manner of things, also made a quick escape. "Yeahh, I've got eggs to paint. Ya know, with Easter only being 337 days away now," he said as he quickly tunneled away.

"Guyyys where are you going?" I asked. It was difficult to be self depreciating in this state, but a negative thought or two still slipped by. I was worried I was annoying them. I must have been, because I was even annoying myself. I couldn't control how I was acting and I didn't enjoy myself unfiltered. If you can't change, and everyone still walks away when you're doing your best, what do you do then?

"Sorry Jack, I really do have a lot of work to do," Tooth expressed her genuine guilt at having to leave me as well.

I looked between North and Kate and wondered if their blurry faces would leave me too.

North's eyes darted between me and Kate, clearly uncomfortable under my pleading gaze. "Mmm. toys.." Was all he said as he scurried down the hall as fast as his plump body would allow.