Chapter 11

I squeezed my eyes tightly, wanting the blinding explosion to go away. When the light gave way to darkness, my eyelids cautiously peeled open. Looking around, I was surprised to see that I was no longer sitting on Jamie's bathroom floor.

The floor of the small room was made of worn wood, and it smelled of dust and pine.

I heard the comforting voice again somewhere in the distance, though it was getting closer.

"Jack, wake up," said the voice.

My eyes were drawn to where the voice was coming from and there I saw my sister standing over a wooden bed, and a dark haired me, fast asleep.

There was a dull ache blossoming in my head that quickly got sharper and sharper. I closed my eyes against the searing pain, and clutched my head in my hands. Once it felt like my head might explode, the flood gates opened and everything crashed through them at once.

I saw images of my life literally flash before my eyes. I remembered everything important that I had ever seen, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted. The good, the bad, the beautiful, it was all there once again.

I could remember how it felt to be alive.

I felt a wetness on my cheeks that for the first time in a long time, wasn't because I felt like utter shit.

The memories of my sister and I warmed my frozen heart. She was my best friend. Remembering my family and friends gave me the opportunity to actually miss them. It hurt to miss them, but it was a better pain than what I felt before.

Once I could remember everything up until the moment I died the splitting headache subsided, and I opened my eyes.

I was back on Jamie's bathroom floor still clutching my memory box.

I practically flew from the bathroom door all the way back into Jamie's bedroom. I wanted to tell him everything, but seeing his sleeping form as it shakily took in labored breaths, stopped me in my tracks. Gently shaking him awake, I whispered his name.

"Jamie, wake up. What's wrong?" He woke with a start the third time I shook him, and sat up so quickly, that we knocked heads.

"Ow," Jamie groaned and rubbed his forehead.

I hardly felt any pain because I was still worried about him.

"Are you okay? Were you having a bad dream?"

Completely ignoring my interrogation about his well being, he let out a nervous laugh. "You know Jack, we have to stop meeting like this."

I frowned at him and leaned my arms on my staff. "Yeah yeah, we're both klutzes. Now tell me what's wrong."

Jamie's hand fell away from his forehead, and landed in his lap. "Yeah, I was having a bad dream. Even without Pitch around, I've still been having nightmares about things that have happened in the past."

"What things?" I asked, concern displayed on my face.

He looked hesitant as he opened his mouth and shut it again.

"I'm always here for you, Jamie. We're best friends aren't we? You can trust me."

He sighed and then took a breath before speaking. "My cousin... She was always in so much pain, and one day she decided she didn't want to live anymore. I found her with a knife to her wrist about to kill herself, Jack. I don't understand how life is so fragile, it can just be taken away like that. I grabbed the knife away, but what if I hadn't been there? She would have died..." Tears welled up in his eyes as he trailed off. When one of them spilled over, I swiped it away with the sleeve of my hoodie.

"I'm sorry, Jamie. That's not something that you should've had to go through, and I probably didn't help with everything that happened last night. You don't have to worry about me though, I'm gunna be okay."

He sniffled and wiped away a few more tears as he asked, "why do so many beautiful people feel so much pain? It isn't fair Jack."

I pulled my frail little friend into a hug and stroked his hair. "I don't know. I don't... have all the answers, but I can say that the strongest and most beautiful hearts are forged from the fires of pain. I think... everything we experience is to make us stronger."

I couldn't believe the words coming out of my own mouth. It was like I was just beginning to know myself. My memories had changed me; they had put the light back in my soul.

"Wow, when did you get so wise? I thought that was my job." Jamie giggled as I ruffled his hair.

"Yeah, well I've been enlightened just recently." I said as I took out my memories and wiggled them at him.

"What's that?" Jamie asked.

"My memories from when I was alive. I couldn't remember anything about my family or who I used to be, until tonight."

"Was that why you were sad?"

I looked down at the little golden box and laughed. He really was good at this. "Yeah. I was mad at myself for not remembering my sister or my mom's name. I died protecting my sister because she was my best friend. They deserved to be remembered, but now I just really, really miss them." I smiled sadly at my hand covering the memories as I finished.

"Well, what were their names? I want to know them too, so I can thank them in my mind for giving me my best friend." Jamie smiled, completely unaware of the importance his words held for me.

I looked up at Jamie in realization, and gaped at him for a second before I found my words.

"M-my sister's name... was Molly, and my moms was... Rebecca."

For the first time in 300 years, I could finally say your names. I could also finally say that I absolutely love you both with all of this broken heart.

A/N : Finally updated you guys! Let me know what you think xoxo :)