A Tour

The birds chirped gleefully above us zipping between the branches of various trees enjoying the beautiful day. I, on other hand, was not as I led Augustus Gemini the Third's, or whatever his full name is (I hadn't bothered to learn it), royal butt on his royal tour.

It was earlier this morning when Prince August summoned me, ready for his tour of the Palace. Unfortunately, he had interrupted an engaging conversation with Gia regarding an upcoming festival, which unknowingly earned him some negative points.

Gia had to practically drag me out here all while reciting the reasons I have to follow through with this.

So instead of chatting about cotton candy and ice cream, I spent my time leading about a silent prince around Ardiham Palace. Any attempt at small talk ended in abrupt responses. I quickly stopped trying.

For someone who supposedly needed alliances, he's doing a poor job trying to actually get them.

I stop in front of a suit of armor, August a step behind me.

I gesture to the armor. "And on the right here we have the armor of Jean-Baptiste Aliker who helped to found this land, which is of great importance to our history."

I glance back at Gus. He seems spaced out and isn't focusing on the armor of the great Jean-Baptiste Aliker.

"With it, he saved the people from a herd of rouge mountain lions. Legend says, by wearing it he could possess the might of a dragon," I continue.

Gus pulls his phone out of his pocket.

"Which he used to conquer said dragon." I pause waiting for August to call me out on the ridiculous statement.

His eyes are glued to his phone.

"Alrighty, moving on." And let the games begin, I think.

I lead him further down the hallway, stopping in front of a door.

"On the left is the Quelque Chose Sitting Room which was made by hand by Léon Chuquet in 1908 when his nieces outgrew the 2 foot by 18 square foot one."

I watch August type something on his phone.

"Which is, of course, of great importance." Nothing.

We shuffle further.

"Up here is a stained glass window depicting Roland Auger who was a benefactor to the early king which is one of the earliest examples of kindness, a quality the kingdom is known for, which is of great importance."

"Is there anything that is not of great importance," he asks dryly, finally acknowledging me.

"Yeah, you."

He frowns.

I shrug. "Continuing on."

Now that he's half listening, I start to get really into my storytelling. I spot a settee down the hall and rush over to it, August trailing behind.

"This settee has been where many of our great leaders pondered the great questions of the world and how to lead our great country further into the future. Inspiring many a new artworks. Making this settee of..."

"Great importance," he finishes for me. "Yes, I know." He finally looks up from his phone to glance at the chair. His eyes narrow. "That can't be more than thirty years old."

I shrug. "Age is in the eye of the beholder."

"You mean beauty. It's at most fifty years old. Wait. Is anything that you've been telling me today true?" He glances back, his eyes tracing everywhere where we just walked.