Distract Me

Shortly after, I'm collected and deposited by the limo outside. I rub my arms and shiver as I watch suitcases being loaded into the back trunk.

I hear gravel crunching behind me. Turning, I watch as Gus stomps towards me and refuses to look my way.

I scoff. Very mature.

He goes to push past me to get in, but I grab him and pull him back. As far as I'm concerned, we didn't finish our conversation. He glares back at me.

"You know, when you accused me of not being able to take things seriously, you didn't give me much of a chance to respond." I march up to him, my finger right in his face. "And I don't know if you noticed this, Augustus, but my life is not my life."

He scoffs. "Of course it's your life."

"No!" I cut him off. "This," I gesture to the venue. "Is all picked out for me. I don't even want to be queen, but I'm being forced to by my mother. I tried pushing back, but nothing changed so I gave up. Excuse me for trying to bring a little fun into a life I would never have picked for myself. I never really wanted a crown, a wedding, and especially not a husband." I poke his chest.

He tilts his head, frowning down at me. "Yes, well, we can't all have what we want, can we? You curse your station in life, but you never stop to think how much worse it could possibly be. Sure, maybe you don't want the responsibility, but you have the power to make a difference for so many people and yet you don't care! I mean, did you ever talk to Vence McCathy?"

My brow furrows. "Who? What does that have to do with anything?" I snap.

He throws his hands up. "Why am I not surprised. He's the head of the meeting your mother made you go to, after I first arrived. The one I told you to talk to." He shakes his head in disgust at my confusion. "I pity your people."

I feel a hot, burning anger come over me. "So you're calling me selfish?"

He stands up straighter. "Yes, I guess you could say that."

"Then how about this. Maybe its selfish to give birth to a child and just expect her to happy with the role you thrust upon her. Maybe its selfish to expect her to be okay with the responsibility of being a world leader. Maybe its selfish to expect that she'll have to use her body in a way she doesn't want, just so the stupid monarchy can continue. Maybe its selfish to expect her to show up everywhere with a smile on her face, for the perfect image, when she desperately hates her life and wishes to change it but she just. Can't. Why can't I selfishly want a life I choose when everyone else gets to? You may be fine with your role, August, but I'm not."

He opens the passenger door and gestures for me to get in. I look at him confused.

"You don't want a husband? Fine! You won't have a husband then. Get in." He grits.

I angerly sit down. Gus slams the door closed and climbs in the back. I put the divider up between us.

I pull my earbuds out of my bag and shove them in my ears. I close my eyes and try to focus on the sun warming my face.

I was so excited for this day, now I'm left feeling empty.

The trip takes about 5 hours. Closer to the palace, we pass a single protestor, his hair sticking out of his beanie in odd directions. Gus makes a disgusted sound at the sight of him, setting off my curiosity. There's no way I can ask Gus. I lean toward the driver.

"Lord Victor. Always upset about something and protesting. What did his sign say this time?"

"Monkey of a Monarchy." I answer.

He exhales. "Sounds about right."

Finally, we pull up in front of the palace. Gus rushes out, leaving me alone with an older woman. She introduces herself as Jane, the butler, and the three of us step inside. Gus sighs, squaring his shoulders and marches away.