Proposal

I'm awoken to someone shaking me. Through bleary eyes, I look up to see Gia beaming down at me.

"You aren't the early bird type, why are you so excited?" I ask, my voice gravelly as I brush my unkept hair out of my face.

"It's because of this," she brandishes a letter from behind her back, the top ripped open.

I tilt my head. "If that's for me, you're not supposed to read it before I do."

She shrugs. "I couldn't help it. I had to see how The Prince Augustus is treating my best friend."

From Gus? I tug the parchment from the ripped envelope, as I eye her suspiciously. Her wide grin hasn't gone away.

Dear Elenora,

Be prepared, for at the end of the day,

"He's going to propose!" She screeches in my ear.

I flinch. "Way to ruin the surprise, Gi."

"He's gonna ask you at the pier. You know, the private one away from prying eyes." She looks devilish at me.

"Yeah, because of the agreement remember?" I push myself into a seated position.

She sighs, "Don't remind me. I'm not allowed to come." She pouts.

"Well," I stretch, "let's get this show on the road."

She frowns. "Aren't you excited?"

"Of course I am! But, we're going to be around each other for the foreseeable future. Maybe I should let him off the hook, so there's no hard feelings." I suggest.

"No way! You're doing this for us, and your future children because I'm pretty sure the two of you will eventually end up together. I'm calling it now."

I groan. "Gi!"

"No! No getting out of it." She pulls me out of bed. "We just need to find you the perfect outfit."

"This is stupid. It doesn't matter." I argue.

"Yes it does. He's going to see you." She starts going through my closet, pulling out some options.

"Like he doesn't already know what I look like." I point out.

"I know that, but you need to impress him!" She pulls out a blue summer dress. "Ah! This one."

"I outgrew that one. It's too short."

"Why do you still have it then?" She huffs, puts it back and pulls out another. "Fine. Then this one."

"It's too frilly. No. I'm going with comfort." I pull out a simple sundress.

"But you're being proposed to!" She complains. "Ok. Meet me halfway. This one." She pulls out the dress I wore to banquet a little while back.

"Fine." I say, grabbing the garment and heading towards the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later, I escape her preening and rush for the escape the door provides.

"Enjoy the show!" She calls after me. I wave after her.

—————————————————————————————

I thank the driver as I get out of the limo. As I get closer to the pier, I hear soft orchestral music playing. I watch from afar as Gus adjusts a vase of flowers sitting on a white sheet surrounded by a few candles. Simple, but romantic, as if we were actually in love. I'm impressed. I didn't expect him to put in any effort.

"Are you really going to make me do this?" He asks when I reach him.

"Absolutely." I say, looking up at him.