Wedding

"Wow you're so committed to the whole fake marriage thing, but you should really have waited until after the wedding. What if your mother had found out?"

"What?" I asked, my voice groggy. I rub my eyes and look up at Gia beaming at me.

"You know what you did." She says, smiling wickedly.

"Apparently not. Gee, all we did was watch a movie!" I say as I wipe the hair off my face.

"Uh huh, sure. Besides, you missed the balloon artist." she whined. "It was my big surprise. I had it all planned out for you."

That's all the surprise was? My mind had immediately jumped to the worst.

I smack my head. I'm so stupid. "I'm so sorry, Gee!" I apologize.

"No, worries, I'm sure the movie was worth it." She winks at me. "Come on, you've got to get ready." Gia pulls me out of bed and pushes me toward the bathroom.

Being royalty, you'd be right to assume I get pampered on a daily basis. Apparently that was nothing.  Apparently when you're getting married, they pull out all the stops just for you. Extra long bath in the morning, face masks, massage, whatever they were doing before they put on my makeup, and the extra long routine of glamming me up with said makeup. To top it all off, a wide array of breakfast foods available. I guess they're not worried about me growing a size too big to fit into the dress.

Speaking of, that's the one thing for the ceremony that I didn't pick out as a joke. I enjoy dressing up on the daily, but even I don't know of any other occasion that would allow me to wear an especially fancy white dress.

Gia helps me pull on the lacy sleeves and laces me in, smoothing out the long train. She gives me a quick hug before she leaves to give me some time to myself. The next ten hours of my life will be filled with lots and lots of people. Better enjoy the quiet while it lasts.

I step in front of the large mirror mounted on my wall and take myself in. Bright eyes, shiny hair, big smile. I feel beautiful. I admire the way the dress fits me snuggly and the fullness of the skirt. I take a few steps and watch as the train follows me. I take the dress in my hand and slowly spin admiring the sparkles, the makeup, my hair, feeling a boost of confidence.

Smiling, I spin again, watching as the sunlight catches the sparkles on my dress, making little spots of light dance on the walls. I watch as they follow my movements, zipping around the room.

Behind me there's a crash and I jump.

The mystery stalker!

I grab a candlestick holder and test it's weight before stepping towards the sound. I jump out from behind the wall, finding the culprit: Gus righting a downed lamp. My stomach flips at the sight of him and I sigh in relief, setting the candlestick back down. My nerves are so bad today.

"I knocked, but you didn't answer, so I, err, let myself in." he stammers, backing up.

I shake my head at him. "The groom's not supposed to see the bride in the dress before the wedding. Its bad luck." I tease.

"Uhh, I had something important to tell you. The uhh, half the flower arrangements and oh- the rings are gone- we need to, um fix it." he bumbles on, backing up accidentally hitting a table, his face turning red in embarrassment.

I shrug. "Gus, the wedding can still go on without a few flowers and we can make due without the rings. Just borrow some from the treasury." I soothe.

"Right! I'll tell Gerald." He rushes to leave, but pauses, hand on the doorknob. "You know what, while we're at it, just forget you saw me. Luck will never know." The door clicks shut behind him.